Re: [unrev-II] License Example

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Sun Apr 30 2000 - 17:37:48 PDT

    Jon Winters wrote:

    > We should concentrate on a business plan that doesn't involve trying
    > to make money from the software.

    Hmmm. Not sure that's an effective strategy, at this point, though
    I'll be glad to be shown otherwise.

    Under the idea "its an idea who's time has come", I note the 20-some
    collaborative projects in our list, the seminar coming up this fall,
    and a mailing list geared at establishing common standards that just
    crossed my desk last Friday.

    Its already too late for academic funding in form of a one or two person
    project. This is either a fully-resourced development project from the
    get-go, or its a non-starter. It needs a team of developers making
    progress quickly...

    There may well be some model that will allow for that kind of funding
    without selling the software, but I'm not sure I know what it is. The
    military and intelligence may well fund to the appropriate level, but
    its hard to see them going open source. (If they do, great...) Or we
    could sell information that is in already-accessible form in the
    repository -- if we can identify that information. But the easiest and
    quickest way to the level of funding required for success (as opposed to
    an "also ran" 12 months down the road) is to sell the software.

    I'd love to be wrong about this. Somebody PLEASE give me another
    alternative...

    Do you love your Mother?
    Click Here