Re: [unrev-II] Moving beyond the web...

From: Jon Winters (winters@obscurasite.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 15:27:41 PDT

    On Wed, 3 May 2000, Jack Park wrote:

    > It is worth considering such a move. But, there should, in the case of a
    > DKR, be a central repository to which all the scattered nodes synch
    > periodically. Remember, we're not about sharing files; rather we are about
    > sharing knowledge. Knowledge accretion is a community effort that cannot
    > stop when somebody is offline for one reason or another.

    I'm not suggesting that there will not be some big powerhouse computer
    that is always connected storing most or all of our data, I'm just
    suggesting that it does this running the same software that all the little
    guys use.

    The Guntella kids have some compelling arguments against the gigantic
    single point of failure that would be the uberserver. (Yahoo being taken
    down by a ping-flood attack for example)

    Its also far less expensive to do things Gnutella style. We're all
    servers and data moves around where it is needed most!

    Jon

    Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/

    "Everybody loves the GIMP!" http://www.gimp.org/

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Get your money connected @ OnMoney.com - the first Web site that lets you see and manage all of your finances all in one place. http://click.egroups.com/1/3012/3/_/444287/_/957392804/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------