Re: [unrev-II] Thoughts

From: Lee Iverson (leei@ai.sri.com)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 16:50:47 PDT

    In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005021951590.949-100000@jack.pacbell.net>, Eugene Er
    ic Kim writes:
    >On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Eric Armstrong wrote:
    >
    >> * At yesterday's meeting, the thought surfaced that we need
    >> to know what the other systems provide in the way of
    >> evaluation capabilities, for comparison with SlashDot.
    >
    >My personal opinion is that none of these systems are better than manually
    >using e-mail for communication and the web for archiving, summarizing, and
    >distributing.

    I respectfully disagree. In my opinion:

    o The emphasis around structuring discussion on highly focused
      "articles" is a win.
    o The fact that I can selectively turn off certain subject categories
      is a win.
    o The ability to heavily customize the site based on your own
      preferences is a win.
    o The ability to lighten the load on my mailbox is a win.
    o The fact that they are just as open to outside observers as members
      is a win.
    o The fact that they are based on open source technologies (and are
      thus significantly more adaptable than most people's mail reading
      environments) is a win.
    o The fact that with a Zope based WebLog environment (Squishdot) we
      may have a simple way to leverage the weblog into full-scale DKR
      relatively quickly is a win.

    I think you see where I'm coming from. And in any case, I've been
    playing around with Zope and Squishdot on my machine at home and I
    think I can in all honesty say that I like it. A lot. And there are
    already simple collaboration tools that we can bring together on the
    main WebLog that may make our life somewhat easier.

    >This list is already archived on the web. (By the way, does anyone have a
    >working username/password? The username/password I have doesn't seem to
    >work anymore.) Many people on this list have personal web sites. If you
    >have long documents, such as the DKR that Eric was manually maintaining,
    >put it on the web, and just e-mail the list with a brief note saying that
    >a revised version is available.

    I'm finding this rather inadequate. And the fact that login to the
    list is not automatically managed is a big loss.

    Lee Iverson SRI International
    leei@ai.sri.com 333 Ravenswood Ave., Menlo Park CA 94025
    http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/ (650) 859-3307

    Whatever happened to the class clown? Find out at Classmates.com,
    your online high school class reunion. With 4.4 million alumni
    already registered, there's a good chance you'll find him here: