Re: [unrev-II] Research Narrative for OHS/DKR

From: Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@eekim.com)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 11:43:00 PDT

    On Thu, 4 May 2000, Rod Welch wrote:

    > The OHS tools you have created are excellent and essential for knowledge
    > management. Your process of applying time with information management is a big
    > part of "intelligence" that generates knowledge. As Doug might say, an added
    > nicety is extending the PIM paradigm to POIMS for personal and organizational
    > integrated management, which then makes possible the Enterprise Management model
    > that moves from solving personal issues to providing "intelligence" for tackling
    > world problems. Can we see work product showing the results of your wizardry?

    I wish that these tools were actually in existence, but they're mostly on
    paper. One of the big reasons for this is UI constraints, something I
    briefly mentioned at my April 6 presentation. The first tool I started
    building was the bibliography manager, and I naturally tried to whip
    together a quick, forms-based UI using Tk. It quickly became apparent
    that, even with highly structured data like bibliographic information, a
    forms-based UI was not going to be adequate. For notes and summaries, a
    forms-based UI is unthinkable. My temporary solution was to write
    command-line tools. I plan on experimenting with the PSGML emacs mode,
    but I haven't gotten around to that yet. Nevertheless, this experience
    emphasizes the need for a good, extensible XML editor as the basis for
    the OHS's editing component.

    Incidentally, I was much inspired by the journal feature in your DKR
    tool, Rod. (Which, of course, Doug had also developed many years
    earlier.) For everyday tasks, journals are a fantastic complement to
    scheduling. Scheduling reveals your plan, journals reveal the extent to
    which you have achieved your plan, an important element of knowledge
    accumulation and bootstrapping.

    -Eugene

    --
    +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    |       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |