[unrev-II] Re: Intel's new XML network devices

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 14:26:05 PDT

    As a species, I am beginning to wonder if we are capable
    of surviving. Several people have interesting proprietary
    work they want to pursue. I want to be investigating and
    working in this space more than anything, but no one is
    funding any of us.

    Meanwhile, no one wants to give anything away, because their
    only hope for having the freedom to pursue the paths that
    need pursuing is to garner revenue for the purpose. (Even
    when we *do* share, it's harder than hell to reach agreement
    on anything.)

    Doug is adamant that open source is the only way to go. He's
    right, but where does that leave us? At SRI they are talking
    about setting up an open source base technology, and building
    revenue-producing IP on top of that. I was one of the first to
    say, hey, if someone is going to start generating revenue,
    where is mine going to come from? As much as I freely
    contribute design ideas at this stage, as soon as we started
    talking about a tangible product, I felt myself shifting gears,
    looking for my advantage. But do we have time for that?

    I guess my point is: If the problems we face really are that
    pressing, and we as a society cannot identify and free up the
    brains that are capable of finding a solution, then there is
    strong possibility that the solutions won't attive in time.

    Meanwhile, those of us who have something to contribute find
    ourselves lacking either time to do what needs to be done,
    or financial incentive to contribute what amounts to our hope
    for the future (personal future, that is).

    So the question remains: Are we, as a species, in fact capable
    of surviving? Or do personal and societal short-sightedness
    make it unlikely?