[unrev-II] Open Archives Initiative

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 09:31:56 PDT

    http://www.openarchives.org/

    from a companion paper at dlib
    http://www.dlib.org/dlib/february00/vandesompel-oai/02vandesompel-oai.html

         "Abstract
          The Open Archives initiative (OAi) promotes and encourages the development of author self-archiving solutions (also commonly called e-print systems) through the development of technical mechanisms and organizational structures to support interoperability of e-print archives. Such interoperability can stimulate the transition of e-print systems into genuine building blocks of a transformed scholarly communication model. This paper describes the Santa Fe Convention of the OAi. This is a set of relatively simple but potentially quite powerful interoperability agreements that facilitate the creation of mediator services. These services combine and process information from individual archives and offer increased functionality to support discovery, presentation and analysis of data originating from compliant archives."

    The paper leads to a protocol for linking "SFX" which can be found at:
    http://www.dlib.org/dlib/october99/van_de_sompel/10van_de_sompel.html
    "This is the third part of our papers about reference linking in a hybrid library environment. The first part described the state-of-the-art of reference linking and contrasted various approaches to the problem. It identified static and dynamic linking solutions, open and closed linking frameworks as well as just-in-case and just-in-time linking. The second part introduced SFX, a dynamic, just-in-time linking solution we built for our own purposes. However, we suggested that the underlying concepts were sufficiently generic to be applied in a wide range of digital libraries. "