[unrev-II] OHS 6/15/2000 minutes

From: Yee Su Ling (yeemailbox@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 23:59:18 PDT

  • Next message: Eugene Eric Kim: "[unrev-II] agenda for June 22"

    Minutes drafted by Su-Ling, technical notes contributed by Howard.
    (Pardon the grammer, etc. Had a 16 hour day at the WITI conference
    and too exhausted to beautify the text, but want to get this to the
    list asap. \ Su-Ling)

    OHS Meeting 6/15/2000, SRI Engineering Bldg, EK255, 4-6:30 PM

    Present: Mary Coppernoll, John Deneen, Lee Iverson, Eugene Kim, Keith
    Laderoute, Howard Liu, Gil Regev, Rod Welch, Joe Williams, Su-Ling C.
    Yee.

    1) Action items decided:

    * Joe will sit down with Doug to figure which Augment capabilities to
    present and how to present it in a video/vignette of it. Joe will do
    the scripting and prompting

    * Su-Ling will find out if and where the 1968 video of NLS is online
    (possibly at Stanford)

    * Eric will watch the video and summarize how it relates to the
    project's objectives

    * Eugene will confirm the openess of our meetings with Doug openness

    * Eugene will organize a viewing of the NLS video at SRI, probably on
    a weekend day

    * Eugene will Eugene post a weekly reminder calling for agenda items
    and include the URL every week

    2) News:
    We had a guest from Switzerland: Gil Regev from the Swiss Federal
    Institute in Lucerne which has been part of the Bootstrap Alliance
    for
    3+ years. He works on component oriented software engineering, and
    doing a PhD on collaborative learning. He will demo Knoware - a
    concept map editor supporting collaboration.

    Lee suggests looking at The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy Guide's
    site (www.h2g2.com). He says it's a DKR not an OHS, yet another open
    directory project, a huge unfocussed mindlessly open DKR. A good
    example of a DKR that's not an OHS.

    Doug will do an internal lecture for Source Forge on Friday, 6/30

    3) WIKI discussion
    Lee decided to go with WIKI on the Bootstrap site. URL in his post on
    eGroups. It can be restricted so there's a users list. It's on a
    separate port, can't be found unless person belongs to our list on
    eGroups. User can put up pure text; WIKI will format it using html.
    Anybody can edit these Webpages. It's not a model for what we want to
    do, simply a means to putting everything together, organize thoughts
    and ideas, and keep a record of that. It's just a tool for us to use
    right now, a convenience. It has an infinite undo facility. Lee is
    the manager of the site. A login mechanism can be set up.

    Drawback is that WIKI has no time stamp. So we must work on basis of
    social contract, users must abide by ground rules. Eg. all users set
    up a homepage and use that as the mechanism. Each page be owned by
    somebody, responsible for the actual text there, everyone else can
    add comments but not change original text. Can copy an original to a
    version, will put suffix, and is linked to original. WIKI is
    anarchical, any order is user enforced. Everyone who wants to
    participate must look at the ground rules, suggest changes is so
    inclined. Eugene encourages all to visit WIKI and look at the
    ground rules. (http://bootstrap.org:8080/OHS/GroundRules)

    Discussion of the format for the Glossary (already on WIKI), ground
    rules and procedures for editing it. Whoever signs the glossary
    should be responsible. Bill Bearden is going through it right now.
    Break each item up into a separate page. Number of page is unique in
    entire Zwiki. Every page has it's own page ID. Everything is in one
    directory of pages. Have name anchor in OHS, so can refer to
    glossary: so can do Glossary#OHS to take user there.

    Rod asks many questions. Lee, Eugene and Eric emphasize that it's
    just a tool for us to experiment with right now. It's an online
    collaborative tool and we should collaborate online. WIKI can serve
    as prototype for any kind of methodology, we can experiment with use
    cases. Nice to expose anchors. Use purple numbers. CSS style sheet
    exists. Html gives a tweak, but xml is better. Can define
    visualization style. Infinitely cross-linkable. Rod proposes that
    Eric should be the only one who makes changes to the requirements.

    4) Joe showed the photos he took of Doug doing the Augment demo last
    week and explains his idea on how we should do the video demo. He
    says we need to do a planned production of it. (see Action items) He
    proposes the tutor files, user manuals, and that the chordian is made
    USB.

    5) John suggests we get hold of the Augment manuals / tutorial
    documents and study them, mine them for our requirements.

    5) Eugene suggests an approach to our meetings: announcements at the
    beginning, and for the purpose of focus, items not directly related
    to
    OHS development should be taken offline. All in agreement.

    6) Eric's talk on Java One postponed for next week.

    7) Eugene reports that Mozilla enthused about OHS project, one of
    their main engineers spent last few weeks reading Doug's papers on
    his own time. Collaboration potential is very good . A Gnutella
    presentation can be scheduled for one of our meetings.

    8) Eugene raises the issue of the dichotomy between the online and
    offline - there is a larger community that is interested. We need to
    be inclusive as much as possible. Minutes are important to keep
    everyone in sync. Misconception that this is a Stanford project and
    that no commitment to Open Source. We don't have a good tool for
    people in remote locations to participate. They should be able to
    participate in creating the agenda.

    Gil points out that people like him in remote locations perceive these
    meetings to be closed. (We agree we need to confirm with Doug the
    openess of these meetings - see Action items) Gil points out there's
    also the problem of time differences, but that it should be possible
    for people not local to contribute to the agenda and participate in
    some meaningful way.

    Eugene mentions the possibility of audio conferencing. (NB. Currently
    it is possible to teleconference in) Eugene: We should make clear to
    all list subscribers that they're welcome to stop by when in area.
    Most Open Source projects don't happen face-to-face. Most work is
    done online. So this issue is important in future, when we have code
    base, requirements, etc. Once we reach the point of design
    implementation we will shift to being online.

    Current way the agenda is set: Eugene (meeting facilitator appointed
    by Doug) solicits agenda items, this is posted on his Website,
    http://www.eekim.com/ohs/agendas/. Eugene talks to Doug the night
    before and asks him what he wants discussed in the meeting. Rod and
    John request Eugene post a reminder calling for agenda items and
    including the URL every week. Eugene agrees.

    9) Eugene talks about our Bootstrapping strategy - doing bottom up
    things while top down stuff is being discussed. Develop basic XML
    schemes for what we're doing, can generate html automatically and
    build in the features Doug wants. Helps us focus, refine out thoughts
    about building DKR. Minutes, agendas, glossary, use
    cases/requirements
    give us content that can be sucked into the system. Develop basic XML
    schemas for current docs. Find existing DTDs, Howard has found a
    Minutes DTD. Once we commit to a license will put any of our own
    created schema into Open Source under the group license. Xpointer,
    Xlink, Xinclude---link of Joe's wiki glossary---everyone should
    study it for xml knowledge. Neil Bradley, The XML Companion, 2nd
    Edition. Martin Fowler, UML Distilled, 2nd edition. John points out
    John Bosack would be a good person to point us in the right direction.

    10) Requirements and Use Cases
    Eugene: Most of the group has done UML, some have done requirement
    ellicitation. Purpose of Use Cases is to describe from very high
    level black box point of view. Eric: We should keep a good separation
    between design tangents and goals. Eugene mentions Rationale
    methodology, we do not Rational Corporation champions the cyclic
    development model follow Waterfall model of development. UML. Cyclic
    development model: feedback. Gil points out the different ways of
    doing Use Cases, particularly "Essential Use Cases" - Constantine,
    Essential Modeling. What is the user's goal, design a different
    system with that in mind.. There are development methodologies such
    as Catellisis (sp?). Do mindmap and concept map of Mind map, i.e.
    concept map domain, get to shared understanding, share with users,
    then use case diagrams. Exist in Eric's links.

    Eugene goes over one a Use Case, says not to get down in methodology
    and formal stuff so just keep that at the back of the mind rather
    than have it XMI is a DTD for UML upfront. Lee: XMI dtd for UML
    available at Argo. Eugene: People can contribute use cases for the
    DKR. Rely on intuitive idea of knowledge.

    11) Gil demos Knoware
    A collaborative concept mapping tool of server and client - Java 1.1.
    Currently working on the version that requires 1.2. Server is not open
    source development right now but there is a project underway to make
    it open source. SQL server db, firewalls. Goal of this is to get
    shared meanings. Most other mind mapping/concept mapping tools are
    desktop tools and not real collaboration. Idea is that it is an
    informal modeling tool. There are 2 public spaces (will send URL to
    the list), however these are not very structured. Putting Doug's docs
    that are on the Bootstrap site onto this system will take Gil only a
    hour. A cool tool, check it out.

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SALESFORCE.COM MAKES SOFTWARE OBSOLETE
    Secure, online sales force automation with 5 users FREE for 1 year!
    http://click.egroups.com/1/2658/5/_/444287/_/961570767/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Community email addresses:
      Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
      Subscribe: unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
      Unsubscribe: unrev-II-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      List owner: unrev-II-owner@onelist.com

    Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II



    This archive was generated by hypermail 2b29 : Wed Jun 21 2000 - 00:07:47 PDT