RE: [unrev-II] Augment + categories = OHS v0.1

From: Gil Regev (gil.regev@epfl.ch)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 23:42:41 PDT

    Eugene,

    The problem with categories is that they tend to rigidify the knowledge
    repository, in which case I wonder how dynamic it will be. I was in a
    conference on trans-disciplinarity a few months ago and one of the
    presenters said that the the real threat to trans-disciplinarity was the
    hardening of categories. I a collaborative software (not Knoware) we did in
    our lab we moved from relying on categories to find information to using a
    good search tool. We figured that whatever categorization scheme we could
    come up with, it would be obsolete pretty fast. Having said that, I totally
    agree that categories are essential but they should be implemented in a way
    that preserves the dynamics of the system.

    In Knoware, relationships have no meaning for the software but they do have
    meaning to the users. The search tool searches for text in relationships as
    well as in concepts.

    Gil