[unrev-II] Leadership and licenses

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 04:47:59 PDT

    Eugene,

    Thanks for effective work on the license issue, and other matters Paul cites.

    Just a comment though.

    Licensing is a legal issue. At some point a lawyer will draft a document and
    people will be asked to sign it. Typically, we need legal advice on issues of
    notice, disclosure, rights and remedies, risks and so on. So far that is
    lacking in the record. Second, the project needs funding to proceed
    meaningfully. The source of the funds will have a say in the license issue.

    A predicate to licensing, is developing something that justifies time and effort
    of high priced lawyers and other consultants to invest time. Thanks to your
    leadership, the SRI seed team is making good progress, as shown in the record of
    the meeting on 000615...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/04/05/003111.HTM

    ...although it would be easier if the KM conceptual framework was a little
    easier to crack.

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/04/05/003111.HTM#L532502

    On 000419 Doug wrote to the seed team and suggested we work on formulating a
    definition of knowledge management. I am not sure, but he may have mentioned
    this previously, something to do with Bellinger. Joe Williams mentioned later
    that Doug brought this up again at a meeting on 000504. When the boss brings up
    the same thing over and over again, that sounds important. Yet, we get bogged
    down in endless discussions about license, Zope, Soap, Wiki, Squeak, Slop Jock,
    and so on, without any effort to explain how they contribute to moving from
    information to knowledge management. On 000424 Adam Cheyer wrote to the DKR
    team and urged that we "listen" to Doug. He did not explain how such listening
    is established. One way might be to do the workup on KM that provides a basis
    for a DKR. It is not enough to wave Doug's papers in air, and say, "It's all in
    there."

    You have a little bit of a start in the glossary. Tie it to Doug's writings,
    especially his 1972 paper. Synthesize that material with Bellinger's, your own
    work on 000504, Jack's work on 000516, Joe Williams offered good ideas on
    000510.
    This is an ideal research project, and you have plenty of stuff to draw upon
    without taking a lot of time. Skipping over this predicate step, will cause
    continuing delay and disappointment, as reported by Lee on 000324.

    This is not to say, that the team must start out on a grand voyage into the
    abyss of creating a technology that is undefined. The email track Eric proposes
    will eventually get you there as a subset of his requirements, which are getting
    close to the kind of editor needed for KM. My only point is that you have the
    information and talent at hand, so go ahead and do the work up on KM that sets
    the course.

    Hope this is not too pushy. You are doing a great job on a job that is bigger
    than it seems.

    Rod