Re: [unrev-II] Project Management

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 11:00:50 PST

     I concur and highly recommend reading the following article. Since the link
    requires an IEEE membership to download, I'll make photocopies from the IEEE
    Internet Computing Journal (Sept. - Oct. 2000) to handout at Doug's party.

    STARS: A Socio-Technical Framework for Integrating Design Knowledge over the
    Internet
    (Stephen C-Y. Lu and Jian Cai)
    http://dlib.computer.org/ic/books/ic2000/pdf/w5054.pdf

    Information technologies, including the Internet, are providing an infrastructure
    for global information sharing, but effective support of distributed collaborative
    work may require mechanisms to represent the expertise, intentions, and points of
    view of individual team members. This prototype system records social and
    technical aspects of individual perspectives on a
    collaborative project, and integrates this knowledge into a design process by
    reconciling different perspectives on the design data.

    "N. C a r r o l l" wrote:

    > Jack Park wrote:
    > >
    > > http://news.linuxprogramming.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-31-001-05-CD
    > > <http://news.linuxprogramming.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-10-31-001-05-CD>
    > >

    > > There are two words which don't get much play in Linux development projects:
    > > Requirements and Design. Not surprisingly, it is the lack of these two
    > > things which causes most of the problems in open-source software. Too many
    > > developers in the Linux space start programming before they have a good idea
    > > of what their project functions and capabilities are. In other words, they
    > > start in the middle, not at the beginning.
    >
    > Nice essay.
    >
    > I think the cathedral-and-bazaar crowd's notions stem from ignorance
    > of history. They see Linus Torvalds magically appear with a Linux
    > kernel, or read of Gary Kildall(sp?) hacking out CPM for his own
    > use, and they think great code is written on the run --
    > overlooking the years of subconscious thought and endless deadends
    > and refinements and self-testing that go into such code.
    >
    > Nicholas
    >
    > --
    >
    > Nicholas Carroll
    > Email: ncarroll@inreach.com