[unrev-II] What does Augmen/NLS do?

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Nov 06 2000 - 22:46:15 PST

    Eric,

    This probably sounds dumb, since your question implies a predicate that I may
    have missed. However, are none of the Augment NLS developers around? Seems
    like someone mentioned that a lead technologist who helped develop Doug's ideas,
    later went to work for Sun. We, also, have the program itself, which apparently
    Doug has been using all along. Why can't these help?

    Your report some time back seemed to explain Augment NLS has powerful linking
    and multiple views accomplished by efficient key combinations. This seems to be
    the starting point for OHS, which Doug submitted in the Launch Plan on 001025.

    For some reason key contributors, like you, Joe, Jack, Eugene, Lee and others
    seem to have similar ideas about what is needed, but there is precious little
    coordinated effort to work through issues. While there may be understandable
    reticence to begin passing around code, particularly since requirements, design
    and specs are not settled (although Paul's Termite method argues "let there be
    code"), but, it seems like the stuff on categories and ontology, for example,
    provide an obvious nexus for collaboration, which is a big goal of the overall
    exercise.

    In this political season, remember Hubert Humphrey asking Gary Hart in a
    presidential campaign of yesteryear "Where's the beef?" So, "Where's the
    collaboration?"

    Is there a lot of collaboration going on in the background, or must this await
    the new core team? I suppose we could say the same about collaboration on
    Augment, which is your point. At the risk of being boring, a little less IT,
    and a little more KM would expedite progress.

    Thanks.

    Rod

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Hello?
    >
    > No one has an idea what Augment did internally
    > on this point?
    >
    > eGroups Sponsor

    eGroups eLerts