Re: [unrev-II] Scholastic Ontology

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 09:26:55 PST

    The early bird... <correction>open hypertext system --> open hypermedia
    system</correction>
    One of the papers from the 'Papers' web site leads to
    http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~demeyer/Zypher/ which is a study of combining
    object-oriented design to hypermedia systems. That page leads to
    http://www.parc.xerox.com/spl/projects/oi/ the Xerox PARC open
    implementation home page -- material we should all pay attention to. BTW
    that page points to yet another discipline: Aspect Oriented Programming.
    I'm not kidding, we're gonna have to read that too!

    Now, I could hold this back for more stuff, but it's time to see what others
    find ;-)

    From: Jack Park <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

    > But wait! There's more. Tracing references in the paper noted below, I
    > stumbled on this url: http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kock/OHS-HT97/Papers/
    > a list of position papers from a conference titled OHS-HT97 -- OHS stands
    > for Open Hypertext Systems. One paper on that page is titled:
    > "Collaboration via OHS: A Scenario"
    > There's lots of other papers with similarly interesting titles.
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > From: Jack Park <jackpark@verticalnet.com>
    >
    > > http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/scholonto/
    > > <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/scholonto/>
    > >
    > > This URL was sent to me by Bernard Vatant. I have been following the
    work
    > > of Enrico Motta for a long time, but not close enough. This one snuck
    > > (sneeked?) up on me.
    > >
    > > The paper "ScholOnto: An Ontology-Based Digital Library Server for
    > Research
    > > Documents and Discourse" (available as a pdf) strikes me as a very worth
    > > read.
    > >
    > > from the abstract:
    > > "...This paper describes the design rationale and implementation of
    > > ScholOnto, an ontology-based digital library server to support scholarly
    > > interpretation and discourse. It enables researchers to describe and
    > debate
    > > via a semantic network the contributions a document makes, and its
    > > relationship to the literature...."
    > >
    > > Appears to take on IBIS in an expanded fashion.
    > > Reading deeper into it, I begin to see room for Pointrel in an
    > > implementation.

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.