Re: [unrev-II] Japan and IT

From: Hirohide Yamada (hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 03:14:43 PST

    Dear Jack Park,
    Just a brief comment. You clarified one thing in my mind which helps in positioning
    our human system in Doug's model; Evolution and Revolution, it is the matter of
    time scale.

    > Given my "cowboy" perspective on things, I tend to think the evolution will
    > occur, and perhaps with little pain. I continue to learn, however, that in
    > cultures other than that to which I am accustomed, evolution may not be as
    > easy.

    We agree that this human system changes will happen and it will be good for the
    people here too. So in that sense, it is an evolution process. I think there is
    a mechanism in U.S.A. that the human system changes much faster than anywhere else
    in the world. Japan is the slowest and it becomes a revolution if you want to keep
    pace with it. We should be able to accelerate the process and still make it an
    evolution process by educating people and showing the success story, for which
    we believe Doug's model works.

    Thanks, Hirohide Yamada

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Yamada Sama,
    > Human systems seem to be the product of evolution, perhaps with bumps in the
    > path due to revolutionary discoveries -- punctuated equalibria, I think. I
    > tend to view Doug Engelbart's work as revolutionary, at least in the sense
    > that it was invented long before it became popular to think that way. It
    > may be that Bootstrap offers the potential to be the small revolution in the
    > social evolution we all experience.
    >
    > Given my "cowboy" perspective on things, I tend to think the evolution will
    > occur, and perhaps with little pain. I continue to learn, however, that in
    > cultures other than that to which I am accustomed, evolution may not be as
    > easy. I think that perhaps the web and Bootstrap offer us the opportunity
    > to advance social evolution in a sensible, maybe even painless fashion
    > without giving up the true richness that many cultures offer to all
    > humanity. It seems to me that, in attacking humanity's problems, as
    > suggested in the Colloquieum, all cultures will find appropriate paths to
    > local evolution. My invitation to discuss social systems stands; from time
    > to time, perhaps you will find topics in that space that are, or become
    > suitable for discussion.
    >
    > Jack Park

    eLerts