Re: [unrev-II] Re: Tuesday's meeting

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Nov 16 2000 - 16:45:48 PST

    Thanks for looking into that, Adam.
    Good to know that I hadn't just missed something obvious.

    Consistent terminology makes sense. It's the only tool we
    have to attack the problem with.

    I am totally in love with:
      HyperScope -- the viewer
      HyperDocument -- the thing viewed (a "slice" taken
         from a repository)
      Open HyperDocument Repository -- where they are kept
      OHS: HyperScope + OHR + HyperDocuments

    At the moment, I continue to reserve the term "DKR" for
    future developments. Jack and Howard are constructing
    the ontology for the OHS, and we need that. But later on
    they are going to want to build bigger and better
    ontologies to solve even deeper problems (yes?).

    I know that the OHS as currently envisioned will solve
    a lot of problems, and provide us with the ability to
    carry on intelligent, far-ranging discussions that can
    eventually "coalesce" to reach one or more conclusions.

    I'm not yet convinced, however, that it will give Jack
    and Howard *all* the tools they need to play with
    bigger and better ontologies -- to construct them,
    operate on them, and use them to deal with information
    in meaningful ways. Much as I want to see the capability
    come into existence, it is not all clear to me that the
    current design will be capable of doing that.

    So I tend to use DKR for that still-nebulous thing we
    hope to get to sometime downstream. In many ways, it
    is a label for my ignorance -- for all the things I
    have to understand about what we need, and about how
    to provide them. (The difficulty I have in following
    ontology-related discussions convinces me that the
    system I understand (the OHS) is unlikely to qualify
    as a DKR.)

    [BTW: When I reply to your messages, the automatic
    quoting feature does not seem to work. Perhaps because
    it is in HTML form? Or do you use IE, and it is doing
    something that is incompatible with Netscape's quoting
    mechansim?]

    eGroups eLerts