[unrev-II] Re: Alliance and Partners

From: scann@prodigy.net
Date: Fri Dec 01 2000 - 08:20:40 PST

    --- In unrev-II@egroups.com, Rod Welch <rowelch@a...> wrote:
    > Little feedback. The link you provided came up empty.

    The URL is long and egroups doesn't highlight the whole URL (hence
    the notation "please make sure you get the full url"). Please copy
    and paste the following URL:

    http://www.javacorporate.com/components/helpdesk/jsp/projframe.jsp?
    category=132
    [please make sure you get the full url].

    > The 5 elements you list might get KM done, depending upon what they
    mean, i.e.,
    > how do you convert information into knowledge. I asked the KMCI
    people about
    > this the other day and they reported the secret is "validation,"
    see...

    > http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/11/18/154057.HTM#L341103

    You know that question feels to me something akin to the discussion
    of reality and perception... LOL. I think knowledge is hard to pin
    down because it is involves the human perception of such. One way to
    gauge knowledge is by way of results. Knowledge may come about when
    information comes in contact with human intelligence. Let's see how
    this example unfolds. Corporations have databases filled with
    information, much of it untapped stored on multiple systems in
    mutliple databases. With BI tools and applied human knowledge, a
    dynamic reports can be created to change information towards
    knowledge which can benefit many users. Say a user creates a
    critical daily operations report, and it goes through the validation
    process and is accepted by IT and management as being correctly
    calculated (which is not in itself a guarantee as anyone in real life
    knows (since humans are not perfect ;)) by using the workflow process
    of eContent. The report is calculated from data extracted from
    several dbs into a data warehouse and is published to the system
    automatically each morning for access by users who have permission
    (security)to access the report. (they can send a request for access
    if they don't (more workflow process)). A user can subscribe to the
    report in two ways: receive email notification that it is published
    with a hyperlink (or it may be emailed to key people); and may be
    accessed via that users personalized portal views. This report is
    interpreted each day and which gives users' the knowledge upon which
    to act or do accordingly. In our example, let's say the report and
    emails include hyperlinks for related functions to further encourage
    the development of knowledge from the user community for this
    resource: FAQ, forums, project and task management; search; and
    HelpDesk.

    An faq relating to the report where the user can post new questions;
    a discussion forum with thread relating to the report, i.e. ongoing
    discussions on improvements to daily operations etc relating to
    specific trends and numbers; tasks to be completed related to the
    report and operations i.e. so and so add competitive research (in
    sales tab in portal) on weakness of xyz product to help sales people
    sell more gg product; search tool to search other sources of perhaps
    related information i.e. other reports, documents, email etc; and
    Helpdesk for problems and suggestions for improvements to the
    report. All of this collaborative process encourage knowledge
    sharing and speeds the evolution of ideas. The process of user
    involvement is "validation" of the knowledge presented as it is cross
    examined and explored and discussed.

    I don't know if this was what you were looking for. The key factor
    from the url you gave seemed to be flow and feedback...certainly
    which the example above has. eContent includes workflow features and
    they can be customized to be very detailed, and collaborative tools
    to encourage feedback.

    I would like to quote a paragraph from the url you gave which I
    thought was excellent:
    "Flow leaves knowledge validation and goes into an area with nodes
    for codified knowledge claim {CDS}, codified organizational
    knowledge {COK}, invalidated knowledge claim {IKC}, information
    about knowledge claim status {IKCS}, non-validated knowledge claim
    {nkc}, validated knowledge claim {VKC}). There is feedback, which
    is good. Stuff flows forward to steps that teach, share and
    assemble (called "search"), with feedback to organizational
    culture, e.g. strategies, processes, policies, products, services,
    etc."

    > Do you have an example of work product showing the a meeting, call
    letter or
    > other daily working information that is connected into a web of
    related stuff?

    We have an example which is not corporate related, but more research
    and development oriented. Our collaborative portal at
    www.javacorporate.com is developed using this technology.

    > Any cost studies showing time and money saved using this method,
    where it was

    I have no stats on cost studies. I attended a seminar earlier this
    week and even a rep from Gartner Group says they do not have these
    stats yet. They say there is not enough data available yet and won't
    have for about a year.

    > used, etc.

    From my perspective on KM, it appears logical to be integrated into
    portal delivery mechanism. So it might be called a KM portal. That
    way the user can see what he/she wants on her desktop with
    personalization features on the components and and documents. The
    standarized browser is used to access disparate information across
    systems, locally and globally, internally and the internet. It is
    offers advanced search. It delivers collaboration, role based
    workflow, applic/data integration, and so on. It can deliver
    information in non structured and structured ways (hierachical, table
    etc).

    Kind Regards
    Sandra Cann
    www.javacorporate.com