[unrev-II] IBM/Lotus's Raven KM solution

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 10:50:39 PST

    Paul,

    Thanks for the heads up on the article about IBM's delay in releasing Raven....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/11/30/103445.HTM#L431623

    IBM's setback adds perspective to the challenges ahead for those planning to
    develop Knowledge Management (KM) capabilities. I explained the opportunities
    for IBM to support this work in 1994. It only took 18 months to get a meeting.
    Usually it takes 24 months; but, in any event, the guys recognized SDS combines
    key technologies that improve handling of daily information....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/94/11/14/130003.HTM#L101683

    IBM then paid $4B to get Lotus Notes, hoping it could do SDS stuff. Now they
    know it can't. KM is not about pictures, email, XML and so on. It begins with
    the architecture of human thought that requires a counterintuitive design to
    leverage an innate process for converting information into knowledge. This
    core design is the foundation of any effort to move beyond traditional IT, at
    least it seems so to me. There is no evidence for any other conclusion.

    That is why I am beating the drum to get other people to use SDS. Once you get
    the feel for the process, then technology experts will be ready to render the
    capability in a stronger form, what folks today are calling KM. Next year it
    will be called something else, as people tire of empty promises. This history
    underscores comments by Doug, you and others that SDS delivers on its promise of
    anytime, anywhere "intelligence."

    There remains a big hurdle of getting people to use SDS, because SDS makes good
    management easier, so it takes less diligence, because adding intelligence to
    information produces knowledge. However, it seems like people want technology
    to make bad management successful. The desire for "feel good" management so we
    can do whatever we want at the moment, is overwhelming. Compare for example
    information from 911123...

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/91/11/23/090001.HTM#L341481

    ...with more recent comments on 001012....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/10/12/215154.HTM#B4P2

    It is not clear how technology can make bad management successful. Drucker
    points out that favorable market conditions buy off poor management for awhile,
    as has occurred in the IT sector. But, inevitably, the quality of management is
    the only lasting security for enterprise.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/93/11/30/002549.HTM#L311416

    Over time, there is no way to make bad management successful. Just as the
    rewards of using SDS to accomplish good management are deferred, and so make it
    emotionally challenging to take up in good times, so too, the damage of poor
    management can be put off to another day. But each scenario eventually creates
    a powerful reality that cannot be ignored, as seen from recent trends in the
    market.

    Thanks again for keeping us posted.

    Rod

    Paul Fernhout wrote:

    > This is a ZDNet article on Raven, IBM/Lotus's upcoming Knowledge
    > Management tool.
    >
    > http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2657468,00.html
    >
    > An excerpt from the article:
    >
    > "When Lotus Development Corp. began pitching its knowledge management
    > platform to customers and business partners, many had a hard time
    > grasping what KM was and what the product, dubbed Raven, would do for
    > them.
    >
    > Now, nearly two years later, that confusion has not abated and, in fact,
    > is growing. And as it grows, Lotus struggles to redefine its KM strategy
    > and project a clear product direction amid mounting questions about
    > Raven's release and what its final form will be, sources said. For IT
    > managers still trying to get their arms around the potential benefits of
    > KM in general, Lotus' midstream strategy shift will only add to their
    > confusion."
    >
    > There are some interesting "talkback" comments at the bottom.
    >
    > Again, one issue is if this "KM" in Raven is the same "KM" Rod is
    > talking about.
    >
    > -Paul Fernhout
    > Kurtz-Fernhout Software
    > Developers of custom software and educational simulations
    > Creators of the Garden with Insight(TM) garden simulator
    > http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com
    >
    > eGroups Sponsor
    > [click here]

    eLerts