Re: [unrev-II] Use Cases and Ontologies

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 15:05:05 PST

    Consider these common use cases
    EMAIL
        User receive email
        User send email
        User annotate email
        User replyTo email
        OHS archive email
        OHS autoLink email
    SDS
        <note>email annotation already covered</note>
        User align records
        OHS autoLink records
        <note>I'm sure Rod will have lots more here</note>
    WEB
        User browse webpage
        User annotate webpage
        OHS autoLink webpage
    COLLABORATE
        <note>email and web fit in here</note>
        User create document
        Usser edit document
        User shareDocumentWith OtherUser
        User pose IBISQuestion
        User respondTo IBISQuestion
        OHS maintain IBISQuestion
        OHS maintain IBISResponse
        OHS autoLink IBISQuestion
        OHS autoLink IBISResponse

    Under these are some really primitive use cases
        OHS access webpage
        OHS access email
        User access OHS

    Let us examine these use cases.
        Actors:
            User, document, OHS, OtherUser, IBISQuestion, IBISResponse, email,
    records
        Verbs:
            receive, send, respondTo, archive, autoLink, align, create, edit,
    shareDocumentWith,
            pose, maintain, browse, annotate
    We can see that there is great similarity between 'create', 'pose', and
    'send'
    'autoLink' is a really exciting verb. Some verbs require user action,
    others are purely OHS behaviors. Some verbs need rethinking.

    Notice that, when we begin to flesh these use cases out, we are beginning to
    imagine the underlying mechanics of an OHS. We can now take these nouns and
    verbs, refine them, refine our use cases, develop an ontology that narrows
    the range of words we choose to those necessary to accomplish the design
    task, construct scenarios with the new ontology, perhaps refine the ontology
    and use cases, and iterate until we believe we are ready to hack some code.

    I recognize the fact that the use cases mentioned above appear to ignore the
    vast amount of energy this group has already put into the development of use
    cases. It is my hope that the two apparently disparate activities will
    ultimately enhance each other. It would seem that we could take my
    minimalist list and begin to flesh out an OHS.

    Once we get all this common stuff fleshed out, we can begin to look at the
    two specialty tracks: research collaboration (NIH), and software
    productivity. That will likely call for new iterations in the common stuff
    because ideas generated in the specialty field will be seen to have value
    across many domains.

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    eGroups eLerts