[unrev-II] More Inscrutability

From: Dennis E. Hamilton (infonuovo@email.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 13:28:39 PST

    I am a visitor here because of a cross-posting that Eric Armstrong made with
    another discussion list.

    Having made this random entry, and musing about systems inscrutability and
    incoherence, I can report that I had a heck of a time figuring out the
    following terms, which are used heavily in this setting:

    OHMS - Open Hyperdocument System
            was the easiest

    NIC - Network Improvement Communities
            was the next easiest

    DKR - Dynamic Knowledge Repository
            was very tough until I searched the eGroup

    SDS - I gave up on, it is used so heavily that I despair of finding a hit
    that is actually definitive.

    So, here's a test problem for www.bootstrap.org and the unrev-II group:

    What is the definition of "SDS" as used here?

    If I came in at http://www.bootstrap.org, how would I have found it?

    If I came in at the eGroup, how would I have found it?

            - - - - - -

    What's the point?

      1. I am struck by the degree to which tacit knowledge infects most
    contexts. It is easiest to notice that when the context is unfamiliar. I
    am sure that visitors to sites I compile material on would be able to give
    me a disappointingly-long list of undefined terms and undocumented
    assumptions that baffle them.

      2. If an OHS/DKR is intended to support explanation (my test of any
    knowledge-based system), it would seem that induction of conceptual
    frameworks, contexts, and maybe even paradigms becomes important. With very
    little exposure to this discussion, I do notice that a lot of the
    implementation conversation is about pretty low-level plumbing (e.g., XML as
    carrier, granularity of links, and frames versus hierarchies). I love to
    fuss about infrastructure too.

      3. Maybe what is needed is some kind of challenge problem that could be
    done on an existing corpus (such as the unrev-II collection) and demonstrate
    achievement of some measure of DKR acceptability.

    -- Dennis

    AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
    AIIM DMware http://www.infonuovo.com/dmware
    ODMA Support http://www.infonuovo.com/odma