[unrev-II] NIH Related Use Case: Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining in Biological Databases

From: John J. Deneen (JJDeneen@ricochet.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 09:28:33 PST

    FYI in developing NIH proposals and papers.

    attached mail follows:

                        CALL FOR PAPERS

    Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining in Biological Databases

                        Technical Session of

     The 2001 International Conference on Mathematics and
    Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Sciences

                          (METMBS'2001)

        Monte Carlo Resort, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

                       June 25-28, 2001

    http://www.univ-pau.fr/dataweb/conf/metmbs.html

    With the development of Molecular Biology in last decades, biological
    databases are growing rapidly in volume, number and complexity. On the other
    hand, these databases are highly heterogeneous and geographically dispersed.
    They represent data from a highly complex domain. A huge volume of
    biological data is then available for the discovery and extraction of
    knowledge, e.g., new concepts, concept relationships and pertinent patterns,
    hidden in these databases. Knowledge Discovery in Databases (KDD) is an
    emerging field that deals with such issues. In this field, we combine
    techniques from Databases Management, Statistics and Artificial
    Intelligence, to discover and extract knowledge from databases. Data mining
    is one of the pre-processing steps in KDD process, it is the application of
    specific tools for the discovery and extraction of pertinent patterns.
    Numerous tools suitable for data mining in Biology are available, however
    the selection of an ad hoc tool is non-trivial. Applied in Molecular
    Biology, the KDD process should provide for the selection of the appropriate
    data mining methods by taking into account both the characteristics of the
    biological data and general KDD process requirements.

    In our session, we are interested in papers that deal with issues of
    knowledge discovery in biological databases, and issues of biological data
    mining. We are also interested in papers that deal with the application of
    data mining and KDD techniques in biological databases.

    Contributions are subject to a possible publication in a special issue
    of the "Knowledge Based Systems" Journal (Elsevier Science Amsterdam,
    Holland).

    INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
    You are invited to submit a hardcopy or a pdf version of a draft paper,
    about 4 to 5 pages including figures and references, before March 1, 2001 to
    the Technical Session Chair :

     Dr. Mourad Elloumi,

     Mailing Address:
     Cite Intilak bloc 6, app. 7,
     El Menzah 6,
     2091 Tunis,
    Tunisia.
    Phone: (216 1) 233 253
     Fax: (216 1) 871 032
     E.Mail: Mourad.Elloumi@fsegt.rnu.tn

    IMPORTANT DATES
    March 1, 2001 (Thursday): Draft papers (about 4 to 5 pages) due
    April 2, 2001 (Monday): Notification of acceptance
    May 1, 2001 (Tuesday): Camera-Ready papers & Prereg. due
    June 25 - 28, 2001: METMBS'2001 Conference