RE: [unrev-II] Re: Lee, Eugene, Grant, Jack?

From: Paul Prueitt (beadmaster@ontologyStream.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 07:14:27 PST

    which city are you in?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Jack Park [mailto:jackpark@verticalnet.com]
    Sent: Friday, January 19, 2001 9:43 AM
    To: ohs-dev@bootstrap.org; unrev-II@egroups.com
    Subject: [unrev-II] Re: Lee, Eugene, Grant, Jack?

    I see reference to somebody named Jack and I perk up. Howard and I plan to
    be at the meeting on monday. Additionally, we plan to be at a discussion at
    SRI today (2:30) as pasted below:

    Title: Ontology acquisition, integration, and merging

    Speaker: Natasha Fridman Noy, Stanford University Medical Informatics
    Group

    Date: Friday Jan. 19th

    Time: 2:30pm - 3:45pm NB Unusual day and time

    Place EJ228 SRI International

    ________________

    In recent years ontologies have become essential parts of many
    applications. Today even the plain hypertext documents on the World-Wide
    Web are turning into collections of small knowledge bases. The WWW
    consortium is developing the Resource Description Framework (RDF)a
    language for encoding knowledge on the Web pages that will be
    understandable to electronic agents searching for information.

    In our laboratory, we have developed Protege--a graphical and
    easy-to-use ontology-editing and knowledge-acquisition environment. It
    has an extensible architecture that allows other developers to plug in
    components to perform various knowledge-acquisition and
    knowledge-analysis tasks. Protege has a flexible OKBC-compatible
    knowledge model and an extensible architecture. These two features allow
    developers to adapt Protege-2000 to work as an ontology-editing
    environment for other knowledge-representation systems and languages. We
    have adapted it to become an editor for ontologies represented in RDF,
    for example. In this process we reconciled the differences between the
    knowledge models of Protege-2000 and RDF declaratively at the knowledge
    level and made them transparent in the user interface.

    There is also a wealth of reference information available electronically
    that is not represented in formal ontologies and knowledge bases
    however. These resources often include ontological information but are
    not explicit ontologies themselves. The Unified Medical Language System
    (UMLS) is one such resource. Even though the organization of knowledge
    in UMLS may be different from that in the ontology that a domain expert
    is creating, a lot of information could be imported directly from UMLS
    and then reorganized into the categories that are appropriate for the
    user's task. We have developed a remote-access client that allows
    experts who are developing and populating their knowledge bases in
    Protege-2000 to import elements from such knowledge sources and
    integrate them in the evolving ontologies directly. The variety of
    knowledge sources that have been developed by various groups also leads
    to the problem of merging the information in these sources. We have
    developed Prompt--a semi-automatic tool for ontology merging. PROMPT
    performs some ontology-merging tasks automatically and guides the user
    in performing other tasks for which his intervention is required. PROMPT
    also determines possible inconsistencies in the state of the ontology,
    which result from the user's actions, and suggests ways to remedy these
    inconsistencies. The PROMPT algorithm is based on an extremely general
    knowledge model and therefore can be applied across various platforms.
    Our formative evaluation showed that a human expert followed 90% of the
    suggestions that PROMPT generated and that 74% of the total
    knowledge-base operations invoked by the user were suggested by PROMPT.

    _______________

    Natasha is a research scientist at Stanford Medical Informatics Group.
    She is involved in the following projects:

    * Protégé
    * PROMPT (formerly SMART)
    * Foundational Model of Anatomy

    Her research interests are ontology design, ontology management,
    knowledge acquisition, knowledge representation, evaluation of
    knowledge-based systems

    A list of publications can be found at
    http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/noy/publications.html

    For more information on the AI Seminar Series see
    http://www.ai.sri.com/ai-seminars/

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.