Re: [unrev-II] Re : New Knowledge Technology Seminars in February and March

From: N. C a r r o l l (ncarroll@inreach.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 11:47:36 PST

    Hello Bernard:

    > Your judgment about Infoloom and Topic Maps is ... well ... let's say
    > definitive !

    Opinionated? :-)

    > Some remarks about it :
    >
    > About style sheets:
    > 1. Do you make an allusion to the way Infoloom uses or not proper style
    > sheets in its HTML website,
    > or do you refer to the general HTML / style sheets relationship ?

    The latter. More below....

    > 2. It's a pity Infoloom didn't give up this image of "style sheets for
    > knowledge", which carries a very misleading image of Topic Maps, as your
    > remarks tend to prove once more. Every other actor in the Topic Maps
    > community has given up that image as far as I know. Well, we've got now
    > "GPS for the Web" which is not a fantastic communication tagline either ...

    Hmm. Yes, an unfortunate comparison. Sloppy HTML style sheets are
    part of design, which is sold by emotion anyway, to people who neither
    test usability nor look at source HTML. Topic Map customers might be
    more rigorous!

    > Anyway ...The remark 2. contains the implicit fact that, even if Michel
    > Biezunski, one of the "fathers" of the Topic Maps paradigm, is at the head
    > of Infoloom, the paradigm itself has gained a far wider scope. See what's
    > happening at www.topicmaps.org to maybe make up your mind and have some
    > second thoughts about it.

    Thanks, had a look at the ISO spec. Well, I went as far as second
    thoughts. XTM, eh? I wonder how many variants of X are still
    available.

    Nicholas

    > Cheers
    >
    > Bernard
    >
    > PS : Please note I'm involved in Topic Maps development, but not in
    > Infoloom itself.

    Had a look at your web site. Liked this line: "... Such a process is
    never really achieved, but the Topic Map author has to consider it is
    somehow, if any Map at all is to be built...."

    Agreed. Matteo Ricci's palace of memory was meant to be extended.

    Nicholas