Re: [unrev-II] OT: Collective Intelligence

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Feb 05 2001 - 15:35:41 PST

    Hey, Dennis. I trust the surgery went well.
    Along these lines, I think you'll enjoy a paper
    I'm about to post -- Darwin Solves the Frame Problem.

    If I can *ever* track down that awesome paper that
    gave the wonderful description of the frame problem
    using the robots R1, R1D1, and R2D1, I'll be able
    to fill in the last reference in that paper and push
    it out!

    "Dennis E. Hamilton" wrote:

    > You triggered some observations that I have been mulling over for a
    > while.
    > Today is a rest day while I recuperate from some minor surgery, so I
    > give
    > myself the luxury of indulgence ...
    >
    > 1. Consider that there is already global collective intelligence.
    > [clearly not the one that we are dreaming of, but one that is perhaps
    > already in place]. I am not proposing this as a fact, I am proposing
    > it as
    > something to consider.
    >
    > 2. If we were the neurons of a global collective intelligence,
    > would we be
    > aware of it, and would it matter one way or the other whether we
    > were? For
    > that matter, would this "collective intelligence" be aware of us, and
    > would
    > it matter one way or the other whether it (or they) did? [Terminology
    > point: differentiation of collective intelligence from collective
    > consciousness is worth considering too. And wondering just what the
    > conscious attention would be on. Us? Seems unlikely. I don't know
    > about
    > you, but I don't even know how to contemplate my neurons, and I'm
    > certainly
    > not moved to do it. Is it even possible?]
    >
    > 3. One of the things that fascinate me about the theory of
    > evolution, and
    > the theory of economics, for a system closer to the one that we may be
    > looking for in this conversation, seems to be the following. If the
    > real
    > world provides a valid interpretation of those (macro-) theories, then
    > it is
    > irrelevant whether we individuals are aware of those theories or not,
    > and it
    > is irrelevant whether we believe them or not, cooperate with them or
    > not
    > (whatever that could mean), and so on. (Consider that there has been
    > no
    > "escape" from evolution. Consider that the theory of evolution
    > applies just
    > fine. Why do we find that idea objectionable? Consider that it
    > doesn't
    > make any difference -- in the framework of evolution -- whether we do
    > or
    > not.)
    >
    > 4. Consider the prospects for the neurons of a collective
    > intelligence
    > actively controlling the emergence of the collective intelligence
    > through
    > their apparent autonomous behavior. I notice that we have this
    > conceit that
    > the forces of evolution are somehow in our hands (and that the
    > "natural" and
    > the "artificial" are different, etc.). It would appear that our
    > having a
    > theory of economics has led to some kind of economic efficiency in the
> [...]

    eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
    Click here for more details