[unrev-II] update on jpOHS

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 16 2001 - 09:08:36 PST

    http://www.thinkalong.com/ohs/jpOHS.pdf
    <http://www.thinkalong.com/ohs/jpOHS.pdf>

    The project continues. The spirit of the project rests on the notion that
    it is time for many to build variants of an OHS so that we will have lots to
    compare and discuss once a "real" OHS gets off the ground.

    My version holds everything to be part of an OHS. But, I separate out the
    three categories as described by Lee Iverson:
        Context -- user stuff
        Content -- raw data
        Knowledge -- ontologies, etc

    I have combined Content and Knowledge into what I call the DKR: dynamic
    because everything (in my version) is represented internally as topic maps
    in a relational database. InContext, there exists a Topic Maps tab, an IBIS
    tab, and an SDS tab. Later, there will be TSC, Augment, etc, tabs. The
    common interlingua between Context and DKR is XML messages, with the "cargo"
    written in XTM format. Context, called client, talks to a DKR server, which
    couples client to jLinda4, a Linda-like coordination system. From there,
    DKR, which is also a jLinda4 client, process persistence and knowledge
    issues. By coordinating with jLinda4, the system can accept many clients,
    and many DKR servers. In some sense, jLinda4 becomes a kind of Von Neumann
    bottleneck. Film at 11...on that one:-)

    Progress to date: got client and server to talk to jLinda4. Client and
    server (prior to addition of jLinda4) already could manipulate topic maps:
    display them, create and edit them, and delete them from the database. Now,
    to get the tuples working!

    It is my hope that others will begin hacking their own rendition of an OHS
    as soon as possible.

    Cheers
    Jack

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.

    http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/IaAVlB/TM