Re: [unrev-II] [Fwd: Knexa/Peerview to Revolutionize Scholarly Pu blishing]

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 13:29:22 PDT

    Scientists demand open access to research:
    http://slashdot.org/science/01/04/24/149257.shtml

    At 12:16 PM 4/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:

    >FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CDNX - KNX;
    >OTC -KNXAF
    >
    >KNEXA, PEERVIEW ALLY TO REVOLUTIONIZE SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING
    >
    >CUPERTINO, California and VANCOUVER, British Columbia - April 24, 2001 -
    >David H. Brett, CEO, Knexa.com Enterprises Inc. (CDNX-KNX; OTC - KNXAF),
    >and Dr. Yuwei Shi, President of Peerview of Cupertino, California, report
    >that the parties have entered into an agreement to share their respective
    >technologies to create and expand after-markets for scholarly publications
    >on a global scale. Peerview has developed web-based technology that
    >manages the social recommendation and commentary processes and generates
    >reputation capital for scholarly works. Knexa's dynamically priced
    >knowledge exchange technology provides a strong platform for the
    >publication and sale of academic content. Knexa and Peerview will combine
    >their technology and know how to build a total online academic content
    >market primarily for non-academics and academics interested in research
    >fields in which they are not specialized.
    >
    >"Contents in academic publications are often consumed by a small group of
    >scholars whose research interests define collectively the scope of the
    >publication. They are inaccessible, incomprehensible, and intimidating to
    >knowledge consumers outside the narrow domain. It often takes years, if
    >not decades for academic knowledge to diffuse to the public," said
    >Peerview President Dr. Yuwei Shi. "The Knexa-Peerview initiative promises
    >to expedite the knowledge diffusion process through the generation and use
    >of reputation capital along with the dynamic pricing mechanism for
    >knowledge exchange. The initiative takes the notion of knowledge economy
    >to a new level."
    >
    >"Many of my academic colleagues in universities around the world will
    >regard the union of Peerview and Knexa as the ultimate research
    >publication solution", said Dr. Nick Bontis, CKO of Knexa, who is also an
    >award-winning professor of strategy at McMaster University. "The time has
    >finally come for the traditionally lethargic 'paper trail' and 'snail
    >mail' process of 'revise and resubmit' to enter the twenty-first century.
    >The timely release of research results -- especially in fast-moving fields
    >such as genomics and nanotechnology -- will now be accelerated. Most
    >importantly, editors and publishers of major journals around the world
    >will quickly realize the economic value of conducting business with
    >Peerview and Knexa versus the more expensive traditional route which is
    >still too expensive and too slow."
    >
    >"This alliance with Peerview represents yet another way Knexa can leverage
    >its Knowledge Exchange technology," said Knexa CEO David H. Brett. "The
    >new business will provide a very valuable paid-for service to producers
    >and consumers of scholarly work by massively reducing costs and bringing
    >content to market sooner."
    >
    >About Peerview

> [...]

    This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee(s) and may
    contain information that is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not
    the intended recipient, dissemination of this communication is prohibited.
    If you have received this communication in error, please erase all copies
    of the message and its attachments and notify postmaster@verticalnet.com
    immediately.