Re: [unrev-II] Nexist and Education Feedback

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 20:45:20 PDT

    Rod,

    I am not sure where to go with this, but I will say the following: at
    http://www.thinkalong.com/nex/Nexist.html, there is a zipped Word doc that
    shows screenshots with a bit of verbiage about running an IBIS discussion
    with Nexist. Howard Liu and I are preparing Nexist to go into a high
    school classroom in September, specifically to allow students to conduct
    moderated discussions, say, about global warming, and so forth. Our goal:
    exercise Nexist in a real-world situation for the first time. What we plan
    to learn: whatever we can. Jeff Conklin's upcoming Dialog Mapping
    workshop, I think, will help in my planning for the school room exercise.

    Will that enhance education? Well, I think so, as discussed in my paper
    Bringing Knowledge Technologies to the Classroom, a pdf of which is also at
    the Nexist site.

    Today, I also put the very latest version of Nexist itself at the same
    site, and a second download of the required jar files. Now, everything you
    need to play with Nexist is readily available. Your only issue will be to
    have a late model Java (I built it on jdk1.3) installed, and adjust the
    classpath notations in the batch files to suit (sorry, I can't say anything
    about Mac or Unix, but I think Grant put some scripts for Linux up at
    http://nexist.sourceforge.com.

    Cheers
    Jack