Re: [unrev-II] Maddog -> The Microsoft Trial: Current Thoughts

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 17:41:07 PDT

    Thanks for the post Eric. The judgment part corresponds with articles in The
    Economist under the telling headings "Guilty Mictosoft" and "Loss of Trust":
    http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=687513&CFID=394445&CFTOKEN=4575162

    http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=687716&CFID=394445&CFTOKEN=4575162

    And then there is "The Rights and Wrongs of Bundling," an article in the
    rubric "Economic Focus," which is only available to subscribers or purchasers
    of the printed edition.

    For a fascinating example of an urgent, complex problem, see in the same issue
    "Europe's Fearless Diplomat" (Mario Monti, the European Union's competition
    commissioner):
    http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=687740

    The stories introduce also a worldwide perspective of the Microsoft case.

    Most interesting are the recommendations made by John (Maddog) Hall, notably
    the insistence on jail terms for those who break the law so blatantly, but it
    is probably easier for a camel to pass through a needle's eye.

    Well, see what happens.

    Henry

    Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Forwarded from the linux alias... excellent reading.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
    VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM