[unrev-II] Fwd: Announce: XML-CML Software release on http://www.xml-cml.org/

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 08:30:43 PDT

    This post is appropriate to the scientific uses of OHS.

    >From: "Rzepa, Henry" <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
    >
    >We announce the release of a new suite of tools and demonstrations
    >for CML (Chemical Markup language), being perhaps the most
    >mature and developed "science domain specific" application of
    >XML.
    >
    >The materials include
    >
    >1. A (1.8 Mbyte) download for the JUMBO3-J browser
    >written by Peter Murray-Rust,
    >which is a standalone molecular browser written in Java and
    >capable of reading not only CML files, but a wide
    >range of legacy molecular formats.
    >This browser includes JMVS 3D viewer (using Java3D) written by
    >Allistair Crossley and incorporated into JUMBO3 as an example of
    >how such software can be easily extended via collaboration.
    >
    >This download includes source code for the core components
    >of CML for developers and (JavaDoc) documentation and code for
    >**CMLDOM** which has been adopted by the
    >OMG for its "small molecule" specifications
    >
    >2. An on-line demo and (400K) download for a lightweight
    >version of JUMBO3 which implements a simpleCMLDOM
    >using JavaScript and developed by Peter and Michael Wright,
    >iscapable of viewing XML-CML files by converting them on the fly to SVG,
    >which is then displayed using Adobe's SVG viewer. This is an excellent
    >illustration of how XML data can be transformed into other XML
    >forms (SVG is also XML), in this case for display purposes.
    >
    >3. An on-line demo and download for a CML aware version of the
    >Peter Ertl's Molecular Editor (JME).. The base JME
    >editor is extended using an interface (JMECML) to input and output
    >CML as well as the usual JME supported formats. It comes as an
    >application (which allows CML files to be read and written to local hard
    >disk) and an applet (which allows CML files to be copied to the
    >clipboard for pasting into other applications).
    >An extension of JME based on XSLT and javaScript
    >is also available for viewing as
    >XACE (eXtensible annotating chemical editor).
    >
    >4. We have compiled an FAQ which addresses many of the
    >questions and issues often raised in connection with XML and CML.
    >This is an on going project, and we expect will be extensively added
    >to over the coming months. Comments warmly welcomed!
    >
    >Its all up at
    >
    >http://www.xml-cml.org/
    >
    >Peter Murray-Rust and Henry Rzepa.

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
    VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM