[unrev-II] XSLT, plinks, and "article" type

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 14:02:14 PDT

    For the XSLT tutorial I'm working on, I chose to
    set up a simple ARTICLE structure to show the
    different capabilities of XSLT. (It should be on
    the web in a day or two. An outline exists now at
    http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp-1.1/docs/tutorial/xslt/4_transform.html

    (The actual writeup will be significantly
    expanded, with several mistakes corrected.)

    The ARTICLE type was defined to allow really good
    outline-oriented editing (whenever I can find or build
    a really good outline-oriented editor). The XSLT transform
    converts the structure into HTML, which has obvious
    advantages.

    It might not too hard to add plinks to the HTML output.
    That would make for some pretty useful HTML.

    (On the other hand, it might turn out to be damn near
    impossible -- XSLT's "variables" are a little less
    than useful. There is no way to transfer a value
    generated in one template to other templates!)

    If I *can* get XSLT to generate plinks, then a little
    additional work creates a fairly usable XML structure
    for authoring.

    (I know, I could have used the Doctype article structure.
    But I dislike that spec, mostly because it adds the <title>
    elements and the numbers the sections (<sect1>, <sect2>,
    etc.) which makes it hard to reorganize material.)

    If all of that comes to pass, then about the only remaining
    issue is converting JTree to allow multi-line nodes.
    After that, a good outline-oriented editor is piece-o'-cake.
    -

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of
    VeriSign's FREE Guide "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it now!
    http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=n094442340008000
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/6lIgYB/IWxCAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM