[unrev-II] A choice of flocks

From: Henry van Eyken (vaneyken@sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 20:03:56 PDT

    Have been diligently busy going over Doug's 1992 paper, "Toward
    High-Performance Organizations: A Strategic Role for Groupware" (
    http://www.bootstrap.org/augdocs/augment-132811.htm )
    and it struck me that CoDIAK is a very close relative of Seymour
    Papert's constructionism, which in itself is a direct descendant of,
    what educators call, constructivism.

    Actually, quite aside from this, I am asking myself if it would not be
    better to appeal to the non-corporate world instead of the corporate
    world for the propagation of Doug's ideas.
    When I see Steve Balmer, the president of one of the most powerful
    corporations in the world behaving like a rank idiot (
    http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/dancemonkeyboy.mpg - 3MB ) presumably because
    he considers his audience and corporate America as birds of a feather,
    then I have some misgivings about Doug getting corporate support. But,
    then again, maybe the salary men and women serving below the executive
    suites, on the floors where the term "professionalism" has some real
    meaning, will have a better appreciation of what Doug is talking about.

    The world's most urgent, complex problems, I hazard a guess, are found
    within the communal, public domain. Emissions, global warming, cloning,
    etc., all of which require a common appreciation through CoDIAK
    supported by a public OHS. Part of Doug's 1992 paper deals with deatils
    of OHS design (pars. 7E - 7S, 8B - 8E). It is quite an exercise when
    contemplating the outcome of this all in terms an individual's way of
    "using one's head."

    At this point I think it is time for a drink ...

    Henry

    Small business owners...
    Tell us what you think!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM