[unrev-II] Triana, a satellite we should launch

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 08:11:47 PDT

    This article at cnn
    http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/space/08/09/grounded.spacecraft.ap/index.html

    speaks of a satellite that is intended to be parked in a lagrange point
    between the sun and earth and would, among other things, send back 15
    minute pictures of the full, sunlit earth. These pictures enable two very
    important notions:
       constant, holistic view of the earth, something everybody should see as
    often as possible
       large picture views of weather and climate change patterns

    Other science experiments are also involved.

    The spacecraft is locked out of a launch for a variety of reasons. It is
    my opinion that the satellite should be launched; given the opportunity to
    provide a true global view of spaceship earth, it would seem that we need
    to find a way to pressure the US government to launch Triana.