Re: [unrev-II] Dialog Mapping and email

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 08:56:13 PDT

    Hi,

    I took some time out from unrevving to read David Bohm's book "Thought as a
    System" (TAAS). It just so happened that I'd ordered it just prior to Jack
    Park posting this message (below) a while back mentioning Bohm's "On
    Dialogue".

    Not having read On Dialogue, but having read the reviews of it on
    amazon.com, I suspect (from reading TAAS) that On Dialogue is a superlative
    book. But if you want to find out the philosophical grounds for Bohm's
    concern with dialogue then read TAAS. Under the hood it's an eclectic
    synergy and extension of ideas from Schopenhauer, Heidegger, physics,
    medicine and more, all wrapped up in easy to understand explanation -- you
    don't need to have read the philosophers to get to grips with what Bohm
    says.

    I'm not going to be so bold as to say that I think Bohm has got it all right
    (as that would be to suggest that Bohm was aiming at that, which he
    expressly wasn't), but what he says strikes me as being of great importance.
    It's innovative and radical thinking and it should be entertained and
    considered at length.

    I would heartily recommend it (TAAS) to anyone concerned with the
    psychodynamics of collaboration (dialogue), or thinking about solutions to
    global/complex problems; anyone, that is, who believes that we need to get a
    good grip on the human psychological factor in group activity before
    anything can begin to get solved, and that unless we properly understand
    that factor we won't necessarily be building the right tools when we try.
    I hope Jeff Conklin has read this book, it speaks directly to IBIS.

    Prior to his death in 1992 David Bohm was an Emeritus Professor of
    Theoretical Physics, Birbeck
    College, University of London.

    cheers,
    Peter