Re: [unrev-II] multiple hierarchies + visual newsgroups

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2001 - 15:07:22 PDT

    Drat. It is not only "Best experpienced" in IE, it appears to
    be *only* experiencable in IE. Can't do much of anything in
    NS.

    Alex Shapiro wrote:

    > Hi, my name is Alex Shapiro, and I am very interested in the evolution
    > of
    > hypertext, and computer-based mediums of interaction in general.
    >
    > I've read the thread on Malleable Archives, and the one about
    > Taxonomies
    > and TopicMaps, and have a response that is vaguely relevant to both
    > issues.
    >
    > (Funny, as I type this, my spell-checker tells me that the correct
    > spelling
    > for "Maleable" is "Malleable", supporting the notion that the author
    > should
    > be able to go back and alter his/her messages).
    >
    > Ok,
    >
    > I am developing some software (opensource), which can bee seen at
    > http://touchgraph.com whose eventual goal is to be used for browsing
    > multiple hierarchies, and associative networks. Currently, it is just
    > nice graph layout applet, and another for organizing links, but in a
    > few
    > months the underlying structure will be completed, and rapid
    > development of
    > features should be possible.
    >
    > The technology of easily browsable and editable associative networks
    > will
    > make possible the creation of visual newsgroups. I envision such a
    > newsgroup as a network of nodes, where posting a message will consists
    > of
    > adding a node to the network. The advantage of this type of format
    > for
    > discussion, is that related messages can be placed next to each
    > other. Whereas conventional newsgroups already achieve such adjacency
    > with
    > threads, they have the disadvantage that old threads get forgotten
    > about,
    > or not read by new members. In a visual newsgroup, however, one
    > should be
    > able to bring old threads back into focus by adding a link from
    > current
    > messages to the old ones. In fact, adding links rather then posting
    > new
    > messages could be another way of contributing to the discussion.
    > Along the
    > same lines, one would no longer be constrained to responding to just a
    >
    > single message. One could chose to simultaneously respond to multiple
    >
    > messages thus bringing the messages responded to closes together.
    > Some
    > experimentation with this idea using TouchGraph technology can already
    > be
    > seen at http://memes.net
    >
    > Speaking of taxonomies, I think that a type of taxonomy that has been
    > largely ignored is that of hierarchies with multiple inheritance (or
    > multiple hierarchies). It seems that a lot of information could
    > benefit
    > from being organized into multiple hierarchies. For instance, look at
    > the
> [...]

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
    site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/aihfLB/oT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM