RE: [unrev-II] More TouchGraph2

Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 07:54:28 PDT

• Next message: Jack Park: "RE: [unrev-II] More TouchGraph2"

Hi Gil,

Wow, there is a lot of pretty sophisticated functionality there.  Chatting, Some kind of calendar, user permissions, radar view.  Very nice. (PS, for those who want to check it out, the password is case sensitive)

I would love it if this code could be merged with TG.  In fact, I already have a place for it.  You could start by rewriting the LinkBrowser.  Or you could call it something else.

It seems to me that our projects complement each other pretty well.  You've implemented a lot of features for managing a concept map, and I've got features for displaying and (soon) browsing one.

It seems to me that you should be able to proceed by extending the Graph Layout code, and would not need to make many adjustments...

What the hell is going on in manhattan?  I just found out.

--Alex

At 09:38 AM 9/11/01 +0200, you wrote:

Jack, Alex,

In my concept mapping applet I have a lot of the code that you are adding to TouchGraph. Nodes can be painted in different colors, links can be named. It reads the node and link structure from a URL that is given to it by the hosting html page. The URL returns an XML file which the applet parses. Nodes can contain other nodes. Nodes and links can have URL attachments. Post-it notes can be added to nodes and links and act as small chat rooms since all users can add in their comments.

The applet and server form a collaborative platform so that users see in slightly delayed real time what others are doing, who is logged in etc. There's also a search mechanism.

I don't have the lens  and zoom capabilities which I always wanted to add.

The code is too tangled though and in bad need of refactoring which is why i never dared propose it as open source but a merge with TouchGraph could be fun.

Check it out at http://icapc4.epfl.ch/bootstrap.

login: Bootstrap
    password: Bootstrap

Fire up the AWT version, it's faster and has most of the features. The user manual link is broken because the applet's capabilities evolved faster than I could update the manual.

It runs fine on Windows machines. On Linux and Mac it's not as good even though the code is pure Java.

Gil

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
    Choose from 1000s of job listings!
    Choose from 1000s of job listings!

Community email addresses:
      Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
      Subscribe:    unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
      Unsubscribe:  unrev-II-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      List owner:   unrev-II-owner@onelist.com

Shortcut URL to this page:
      http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.0.0 : Tue Sep 11 2001 - 07:49:04 PDT