[unrev-II] Fwd: Emergency mirco-Radar Chips for Search & Rescue of Victums]

From: John J. Deneen (jjdeneen@netzero.net)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 11:16:11 PDT

    We all think Microsoft's monopoly on PC operating systems is bad
    business, but now after the U.S. is under attack from terrorists, the
    FCC delays in approving ultra-wideband for licensed-exempt (free use) is
    worst since the greed of AT&T Wireless, Cisco, Sprint and Boeing now
    impacts our society's emergency rescue and security capabilities.

    "In recent months a laundry list of heavyweights including AT&T
    Wireless, Cisco, Sprint and Boeing have all filed protests, claiming
    that UWB would disrupt cellular networks, global positioning systems and
    satellite transmissions. AT&T Wireless argued that UWB should not be
    widely deployed “until more is known about the harm this technology
    could cause to existing services.”

    Nonsense, says Dewayne Hendricks, an FCC adviser and principal of the
    Dandin Group < http://www.dandin.com >, which wants to prove naysayers
    wrong by building a high-speed Internet access network on, of all
    places, the Pacific island of Tonga. “UWB is well below the
    noise floor, so it can’t cause interference,”says Hendricks."

    In May 2001, a team of researchers from the University of Southern
    California, the University of California at Berkeley, and the University
    of Massachusetts at Amherst were awarded a Multidisciplinary University
    Research Initiative (MURI) Grant from the Department of Defense. The
    focus of this effort is on Short-Range Ultra-Wideband Systems. Click to
    view or download information on this effort.
    < http://ultra.usc.edu/New%20Site/Muri_Abstract.html >

    Overall, I'm hoping the Bootstrap Institute and it's international
    alliance of stakeholders can help me find a way of getting these UWB
    micro-radar chips approved and/or experimental waivers for use during
    our national emergency. Any other ideas for finding help is greatly
    appreciated.

    Sincerely,

    -- John Deneen
    P.S.
    See below for Statement on Ultrawideband Test Results and remarks by
    Assistant Secretary Gregory L. Rohde:

    Ref.
    < http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/uwbtestplan/>
    News Conference
    January 18, 2001

    Statement on Ultrawideband Test Results

    This morning, I'm pleased to announce the results of our first phase of
    testing of the promising new ultrawideband technology. After that
    discussion, I also want to spend a moment talking about how we spent our
    time here at NTIA over the past year.

    Ultrawideband technology is one of the most promising technologies of
    our time. It can be used for communications devices like wireless
    networks; remote sensing or tracking; and ground penetrating radars. And
    there are many applications that haven't been invented yet. The
    challenge at the moment is to see where this new technology fits with
    current services. Ultrawideband is fundamentally different from just
    about everything else that exists today. Most other radio communications
    technologies operate within a very narrow band of spectrum, and
    interference is avoided by frequency assignments. Ultrawideband, as the
    name implies, operates across a wide range of spectrum frequencies.
    Marrying these two systems is nothing short of merging two different
    paradigms.

    Ultrawideband technology operates at low power levels using very narrow
    pulses. Analyzing the characteristics of this new technology and
    incorporating it into our existing spectrum management regime is no
    small feat.

    NTIA's Office of Spectrum Management and our Institute of
    Telecommunication Sciences (ITS), located in Boulder, Colorado, have
    done groundbreaking work to attempt to better understand ultrawideband
    and its interaction with existing public safety and national security
    systems. Today, I'm announcing the results of the first part of our
    ultrawideband testing, dealing with devices other than Global
    Positioning System (GPS). The ITS lab and OSM are still conducting the
    study of ultrawideband devices and GPS .

    We were provided with 25 assorted ultrawideband devices. We made
    detailed measurements on five of the transmitters which seemed to be
    fairly typical of the group. The devices were not selected based on the
    manufacturer. We used a simulator to replicate a wide range of
    ultrawideband characteristics in the measurements performed by ITS. For
    the purposes of these tests, we are not disclosing who made the devices
    we tested.

    We tested these UWB devices against several Federal services. We did
    interference tests for three systems: Air Route Surveillance Radar
    (1240-1370 MHZ), Airport Surveillance Radar (2700-2900 MHZ) and Air
    Traffic Control Beacon System (1090 MHZ). In addition, our spectrum
    engineers developed some mathematical models based on the results of
    those tests to allow us to analyze another nine systems, including
    satellite and other radar systems.

    Our conclusion based on these tests is that it there is a potential to
    operate ultrawideband devices in the 3 GHz-6 GHz range. Distance, pulse
    repetition frequency and power levels are the three major variables in
    the various scenarios that were tested. Some of the services in this
    area that will need further discussion are the fixed satellite services
    at 3.7 GHz-4.2 GHz; microwave landing services, at 5.03 GHz-5.091 GHz
    and Doppler weather radar, at 5.6 GHz-5.65 GHz.

    The study being released today does not contain any policy conclusions.
    This study will form the basis of negotiations between NTIA and the FCC
    to develop a final rule that will permit the development and
    availability of ultrawideband technologies. The study results will be
    part of the FCC's proceeding and NTIA looks forward to working with
    industry and the FCC to develop policy determinations that will allow
    for the deployment of ultrawideband technologies and preserve public
    safety.

    The issuance of this report will hopefully bring us one step closer to
    the establishment of a final rule that will advance ultrawideband
    technologies.

    Let me stress that these tests apply only to non-GPS systems. The GPS
    tests will be concluded at the end of February.
    < http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/press/2001/uwb011801.htm >

    attached mail follows:

    I don't see the Bush Admin accepting any "help" from the UN, but I would
    expect that UWB will be accepted by FCC eventually.