RE: [unrev-II] Semantic Community Web Portal

From: Gil Regev (gil.regev@epfl.ch)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 06:04:28 PDT

    If I may attempt to translate Jack's message, I would say that by asking why
    a given functionality that is proposed is necessary we will build better
    requirements for the envisioned system. That's because requirements should
    not be based on hunches that we provide but rather on objectives that the
    organization or the individuals who will use the system need to achieve.
    Asking why successively is a known process for finding the root cause of a
    problem. By asking why on a piece of requested functionality we will get
    into questions of who is the intended user, what they expect from the
    system, why is the system necessary etc. You can read Alan Cooper's good and
    fun article about goal-directed design at:
    http://www.cooper.com/articles/art_goal_directed_design.htm. Another
    goal-oriented avocate is Alistair Cockburn who wrote a whole book on use
    cases and goals, "Writing effective use cases."
    (http://members.aol.com/acockburn)

    Gil