Re: [unrev-II] Semantic Community Web Portal

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@sun.com)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 15:10:12 PDT

    Alex Shapiro wrote:

    > You have a very good point about displaying sub-graphs/foreign-graphs
    > in the same area as the original. I have a post about that in my
    > discussion groups (and a picture too):
    > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=139095&forum_id=95694

    A good idea, that.

    On the subject of graphs and hierarchy, I note that early (primitive)
    models
    of outline hierarchies (and even directory hierarchies) used the
    click-visit
    model. That is, you click a thing, and you "visit" (replacing your
    current view
    with a view of the target entity.)

    As you point out, that is the way graph clicks work today. You offer one

    alternative. Another, applicable in hierarchical settings, is to what
    tree
    structures eventually did -- show additional detail while retaining
    surrounding
    context.

    In a graph structure that means expanding:

      +--+
      | |
      +--+

    to:

      +----------------+
      | B C |
      | +--+ +--+ |

    At that point, it will be possible to browse hierarchical graph
    structures.
    (On the other hand, I remain unconvinced that the amount of text
    necessary for a useful discussion can be usefully represented with any
    graphing mechanism.)

    Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM