[unrev-II] Analysis of Current Situation Builds DKR

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Sep 13 2001 - 09:50:24 PDT

    Jack,

    Analysis is an important part of organizational memory that comprises a dynamic
    knowledge capability, and doing this work contributes to understanding how to
    create an effective DKR, so don't hold back. Doing the analysis contributes to
    your objective for better technology.

    Got to run, just got notice of a bomb problem in the Embarcadero Center across
    the street here. Maybe we're next...

    Rod

    Jack Park wrote:

    > We are seeing some interesting thoughts role around these days. Too bad we
    > don't have an up-and-running DKR to collect all this stuff and analyze it...
    >
    > >From: Paul Werbos <pwerbos@nsf.gov>
    > >Subject: Re: [announce] horror
    > >Sender: owner-announce@isss.org
    > >

    > > >The concept of "prayer" includes the notion of the ability to appeal to an
    > > >absolute authority. It implies an exclusive, or privileged relationship
    > > >with that authority, which in turn implies special approval of the behavior
    > > >of the individual who enjoys such a relationship. Whether one is praying
    > > >for jihad, or for the end to jihad, one is participating in the same
    > > >systemic behavior that has a divisive effect, and bolsters, with the
    > > >feeling of special access to authoritative approval, the us-against-them
    > > >attitude that perpetuates conflict everywhere on our planet.
    > > >
    > > >I plead with the systems community to move our discourse into a more
    > > >neutral context. Each of us may pray as we will, in the privacy of our own
    > > >minds. But in our public utterances, let us leverage the adaptive power of
    > >
    > >The real horror in this situation (in my personal opinion) is not with what
    > >happened but with
    > >what may happen. A critical role of systems theory, in the broadest sense,
    > >is to evaluate the
    > >larger future implications and possibilities -- and solutions, in some sense.
    > >
    > >In the past, many people have proposed, as a possible solution, that all
    > >conversations between
    > >more than one person should exclude all reference to any dimension of life
    > >or emotion which cannot
    > >be formulated in operational terms -- objective, value free propositions
    > >which clearly do not invoke any sort of controversial
    > >concept such as religion, prayer, meditation, intuition, and so on.
    > >
    > >I would argue that the intense support of this possible solution is one of
    > >the many important causes behind what we are
    > >seeing in the Middle East. More precisely, there are many people in that
    > >area who fear that the driving economic power of the West
    > >is committed to imposing that sort of tyrannical rule on the entire culture
    > >of the world -- gradually and gently, for the most part,
    > >but in a relentless, inexorable way. They fear that the tides of history
    > >will wash over them and destroy them completely, if they do not
    > >invoke some sort of desperate response, based on some combination of
    > >catharsis and violence which comes from outside
    > >the world of the trends which are threatening them.
    > >
    > >There is some real irony here. George Bush himself comes from an
    > >assertively pastoral state, Texas (OK, it's cows instead of sheep, but big
    > >deal...)...
    > >which has asserted its own independence in many ways for many years...
    > >which has a staunchly religious culture.. and was himself elected in great
    > >part
    > >as a reaction against a culture viewed as too cosmpolitan, secular and
> [...]

    Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
    site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM