Re: [unrev-II] Lucid Thinking

From: Alex Shapiro (alex@touchgraph.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 10:57:29 PDT

    At 09:37 AM 9/24/01 -0700, Jack Park wrote:
    >Incremental + decentralized fashion. You mean, a sourceforge.net project
    >with lots of builders?

    This would be nice. I was thinking more along the lines of several
    cooperating sf.net projects.
    By what I vaguely called incremental, I meant that the project could be
    released in stages, each of which would be useful. This, as opposed to
    waiting until all the functionality was in place before letting users try
    it out.

    >I'm all for adding stuff to Lucid itself; I just read the Lucid source code
    >-- looks like it can be done. In fact, that would be the fastest way to
    >get such a prototype running.
    >
    >In the end, however, OHS-dev is committed to a non-GPL license. Starting
    >fresh, not infringing on Steve's code, etc, seems appropriate.

    What's your philosophy of open source licenses? I chose the Apache one,
    because I sensed that there was no turning back from gnu. Also, I didn't
    want a licence that was too long, or that prevented the code from being
    reused. Is there some anti-GPL propaganda out there that I could read?

    >Personally, I can imagine my BLOG at such a portal having both private and
    >public data -- that which I think others might enjoy or find useful, not to
    >mention contributing to the mining activity, and that which is private, not
    >available to the mining tools. It may be that my client application will,
    >at once, log into the web, and log into a local database where the private
    >stuff resides. I can then work offline and later log in and synch
    >databases as a way of publishing to the portal.

    Sounds like a good idea, but I bet people would be paranoid about privacy
    issues. It's easiest to keep a blog public. (why the all caps by the way,
    it's not an acronym, but derived from 'weblog')

    Also, check out http://www.advogato.org/ it's kind of a slashdot with
    personal journals.

    >One area that the mining activity will contribute will be in the area of
    >discovery of "loosely related" links.
    >One area the mining activity will have to pay attention to is that of
    >detection of cycles in the graph. Graph cycles, as most software
    >developers know, result in the "Branch to South Succotash" effect.

    Cycles don't scare me. Check out my graph layout example
    http://www.touchgraph.com I've got a first draft of locality working.

    >As to the "global brain" nature, I think there is merit in that thought. If
    >you read the papers and activities of that group, as I have forwarded here
    >before, you can see that the network-like configuration is favored.
    >
    >Jack

    It's all about the network-like configuration.

    --Alex