Re: [unrev-II] Recommendations??

From: Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@eekim.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 00:31:49 PDT

    I'd make two recommendations. I think it's great that people send out
    interesting links and articles, and while I agree with Eric that it's
    fairly overwhelming on this list, I think that's fine. If you have the
    time to follow the link and discover something useful in the process, more
    power to you. If you don't have time to follow the links, you're no worse
    off than you were before.

    I do think that we can do a better job of organizing the links from
    archived e-mails in a useful way. One solution, which has nice synergy
    with OHS development, is to create a localized back-link database from all
    of the e-mails posted to this list. The result would be something similar
    to the DayPop site that Alex brought to our attention (which,
    incidentally, I think is brilliant).

    To address Eric's main gripe, however, I'd propose a non-technical
    solution that, ironically enough, has its roots in Doug's lab 30 years
    ago: RFCs. If you'd like to bring something to people's attentions, just
    post it to the list. If you'd really like people to pay attention to
    something, put together an RFC.

    In the past few years, many open source communities have adopted this
    practice. In the Tcl community, all sorts of people would post all sorts
    of ideas and recommendations about features and so forth, and it was
    impossible for Ousterhout and others to treat all of these ideas equally.
    So the community developed TIPs -- Tcl Improvement Proposals.

    If you want to propose a feature, you write a TIP, and submit it. If
    accepted, the TIP gets assigned an ID, and is published under version
    control. There is a format for writing TIPs, and a procedure for
    discussing and voting on TIPs. TIPs are a wonderful mechanism for
    focusing attention and separating the wheat from the chaff. It's a good
    example of using formalisms when you're ready to use them.

    Other open source communities have adopted this practice, to good effect.
    Perl 6 development is a wonderful example of these RFC-style proposals in
    action.

    I think that we can use RFCs in our own community to good effect. For
    instance, many people in our community (including myself) believe that we
    should use a Groves-like architecture for the OHS. Jack has proposed an
    XTM-style API for manipulating information in the OHS. Other people have
    made very legitimate proposals, but the attention that these proposals
    have attracted has varied.

    I think the best way to draw more serious attention to these types of
    proposals is for their advocates to put together RFCs. We could appoint a
    librarian and develop our own procedures for creating, submitting, and
    discussing RFCs, modeled closely after other communities' procedures.

    -Eugene

    --
    +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    |       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |

    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II