[unrev-II] Scientific World Journal, Minnesota E-Democracy, xmLP, NewsML

From: Grant Bowman (grantbow@svpal.org)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 23:06:08 PDT

    I am part of a forum that is pretty high quality (Howard Rheingold's
    Brainstorms) and found a few very interesting tidbits.

    http://www.thescientificworld.com/publications/default.asp?uid=&bid=

    Welcome to TheScientificWorldJOURNAL - the future of publishing is now

    TheScientificWorldJOURNAL offers a single unified environment for the
    publication of all high-quality science drawn from over a hundred
    scientific domains within the life, biomedical and environmental
    sciences. Research work submitted for publication is peer-reviewed by
    prominent Principal and Associate Editors and a network of leading
    scientists acting as referees. TheScientificWorldJOURNAL accommodates
    original scientific articles, reviews, methods & protocols, conference
    proceedings, and databases.

    And another interesting find.

    http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue6_3/dahlberg/index.html

    Extending the Public Sphere through Cyberspace: The Case of Minnesota
    E-Democracy

    Over the last decade a lot has been said about the possibilities of the
    Internet enhancing the public sphere. The two-way, decentralized
    communications within cyberspace are seen as offering the basis by which
    to facilitate rational-critical discourse and hence develop public
    opinion that can hold state power accountable. However, this potential
    has largely gone unrealized. Instead, cyber-interaction is dominated by
    commercial activity, private conversation, and individualized forms of
    politics. In this paper I investigate how the present Internet may be
    used to more fully facilitate the public sphere. To do this I evaluate
    Minnesota E-Democracy, an Internet-based initiative that attempts to
    develop online public discourse. Drawing upon a model of the public
    sphere developed from Jürgen Habermas' work, I show how the initiative
    structures discourse to overcome many of the problems that presently
    limit democratic deliberation online. While some significant limitations
    do remain, I conclude that Minnesota E-Democracy provides a basis from
    which online deliberative initiatives can, given adequate resourcing and
    further research, extend the public sphere through the Internet.

    And this I found on an unrelated search:

    http://about.reuters.com/researchandstandards/firstcontact/

        * xmLP - Literate Programming in XML (a programming methodology)
        * NewsML Toolkit (XML DTD for news stories and metadata,
                    also http://www.iptc.org/site/NewsML/brochurenml.html
                    and http://sourceforge.net/projects/newsml-toolkit/)

    Interesting to compare the RSS implementation Meercat used by O'Reilly
    to NewsML. Different approaches to similar goals.

    --
    -- Grant Bowman                                   <grantbow@svpal.org>

    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more! http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II