[unrev-II] Future of Learning

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 22:25:45 PST

    Jack,

    George Gilder, mentioned in your letter today, shown below, makes a larger
    point, perhaps unintentionally, that gaining control over lower levels of
    organic structure yields great power, see NWO....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/03/02/03/0309.HTM#MY6H

    The corollary is that having created powerful technology that compresses time
    and distance, the human mind has created a world for which it is not well
    suited, with the result that enterprise will implode into a morass of bumbling,
    if we fail to heed Gilder's incite in time, by strengthening basic literacy for
    a future of continual learning. This means reversing powerful social pressures
    that suppress literacy following formal education, as explained on 991108....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/11/08/191947.HTM#7520

    Applying Gilder's rule on the power of the microcosm to "learning" is
    accomplished by continually overlaying organic structure on daily working
    information that organizes the context of cause and effect relative to
    objectives, requirements and commitments. Inability to maintain alignment in a
    world of accelerated information, vastly increases the risk of error due to
    complexity, as noticed by Doug Engelbart in him many writings, see for example
    on 991222....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/12/22/104523.HTM#4Q6K

    Doug recognized long ago, Jack's point today about the need for continual
    improvement to raise competency for handling expanding complexity, as noted in
    the citation of Doug's award last year for National Medal of Technology.....

    http://www.welchco.com/04/00067/60/00/11/1302.HTM#018K

    We have seen in recent months the fruits of laxity as the ravages of war and
    recession ensue when a critical mass of too many people having too many problems
    explodes, reported on 001207.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/12/07/145932.HTM#V54M

    Jack has thoughtfully brought into focus the huge opportunity for reversing this
    trend. His letter on 010908 disclosed how so many of us, as I have today,
    succumb to the illusion of power pressing the Reply button, because it seems so
    fast and easy to perform cursory, spontaneous work in email.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/09/08/093820.HTM#YF5O

    ....that causes continual mistakes, loss, conflict, crisis and calamity, rather
    than follow Eugene Kim's lead and make a little extra effort to add intelligence
    that creates useful knowledge, as reported by Eric Armstrong in his letter on
    010916.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/09/16/213549.HTM#KA6H

    Adding organization planned by Eugene and the OHS Launch Community goes a long
    way toward implementing Doug Engelbart's call for a whole new way of working and
    thinking.

    Starting out on a new way of working is not always a bed of roses. Eric
    reminded in his letter on 000125 that connections Eugene will be adding through
    dialog mapping at first boggle the mind, because people are not used to seeing
    that level of detail.....

    http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/01/25/071445.HTM#3975

    The architecture of human thought inherently hides the many connections that
    convert information into knowledge, so when made explicit in order to yield more
    power, the image at first is frightening. We worry so about which link to
    click, color coding for priority and a host of extraneous issues that at first
    judicious review and timely action are hampered, until we get used to a more
    powerful form of literacy.

    Those who witnessed the first atom bomb go off were overwhelmed by the power
    from controlling lower levels of detail in the building blocks of existence. So
    too, when I first saw the detail in Eugene's dialog map that was pretty eye
    opening. There is a tendency to feel that it would take too much time, that I
    would never be to get all that done, so it is fast and easy to rationalize and
    say its overkill, then press the Reply button in email, as Jack worried on
    010908.

    Perhaps though events on 010911 have helped crystallize the new reality that, if
    Eugene, or somebody, doesn't do the work that enables a future of continual
    learning by growing new knowledge from connecting the bits and pieces of
    information in the microcosm of daily life, then we will have a much greater
    task solving recession and war due to lack of intelligence.

    Many wonder why must intelligence be a special effort now, when before it was
    good enough to just press the Reply button, just show up for a meeting, or pick
    up the phone and start talking. Why do we need all this planning, organizing,
    alignment, summary and feedback in order to get things done? Who cares, as long
    as money is coming in?

    Clearly, our friends in education have a great contribution to make by advancing
    Doug Engelbart's call for educating young and old alike about new realities that
    require a new role, new tools and a new way of thinking about continual learning
    to meet the exigencies of a new world order. Our only choice is to harness the
    power of the microcosm or be weighed down. As in the fable, having unleashed
    the power of the genie, we must not shrink from the challenge of using it
    wisely. Fortunately, experience over many years shows that with a few simple
    steps, we can grow a garden of knowledge that makes learning to keep up in the
    21st century fast, easy and fun.

    Rod

    Jack Park wrote:

    > It is my firm belief that one of the most important use cases for OHS/DKR
    > technology resides in the vast expanses of human activity called
    > learning. Parker Rossman posted some comments to the Global Brain list
    > that included a URL that led to the following site:
    > http://ecolecon.missouri.edu/globalresearch/index.html
    >
    > This is a 3-volume (I've not looked at the entire manuscript yet!) online
    > manuscript entitled _The Future of Higher Education: For All Worldwide, a
    > Holistic View_.
    >
    > On that page, we read:
    > "THESE PAGES ARE UNDER CONTINUING CONSTRUCTION. SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME,
    > ESPECIALLY LINKS TO WEB PAGES WITH UPDATED INFORMATION ON ANY OF THESE
    > TOPICS. Especially corrections of errors."
    >
    > which leads me to believe that this manuscript is intended to be a *living
    > document*. I suppose that were it to be contained in a DKR implemented
    > with NODAL, the document would include version control.
    >
    > In any case, we read:
    > "Volume One begins with institutional forms and structures and focuses on
    > preservation and transmission of the knowledge and wisdom of the past.
    > Volume Two is on the future of research. Volume Three focuses on the
    > individual: learning and teaching. They should be seen as an 'outline' to
    > which web page addresses will be added."
    >
    > I cannot make any concrete value judgements on the manuscript; I have just
    > begun to probe its depths (and download it for further study). But, Volume
    > 1, Chapter 2 begins with the following George Gilder quotation:
    >
    > "The force of microelectronics will blow apart all the monopolies,
    > hierarchies, pyramids and power grids of established. . . society. --George
    > Gilder"
    >
    > I confess: that quote mirrors my own sentiments.
    >
    > The manuscript merits the following:
    > review by all who take an interest in education
    > discussion, perhaps here, perhaps in some *real soon now* OHS
    > environment
    > possible collaboration with Parker Rossman to further meld the
    > boundaries between our interests and those expressed in the manuscript.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jack

    Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM