[unrev-II] Visual stimuli & IBIS methodology

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 12:23:35 PST

    Hi,

    I've finally got around to reading some material explaining IBIS. In
    particular I read this page
    at http://www.gdss.com/wp/IBIS.htm
    A short course on IBIS methodology and its use in the QuestMap
    implementation.

    Reading through the materials something struck me as being a bit odd.
    In the Question-Idea-Argument structure QuestMap appears to require that you
    label an argument as Pro or Con with respective green plus sign and red
    minus sign before the argument has even been worked out to its full extent.
    Since the Ideas are supposed to be presented without intrinsic bias this
    strikes me as rather counter to the spirit of the exercise. Not only that,
    but I worry (because I'm the worrying kind) about the liminal psychological
    effects that such blatant symbolism might have upon fair assessment of the
    weight of arguments for the idea concerned. E.g. If I see many more green
    plus signs than red minus signs I might assume a subconscious bias that an
    idea has merit, when in fact a single Con argument might actually be the
    most important.

    It would be interesting to hear the views of others on this matter.
    Am I assuming a practice that the software doesn't actually permit, or does
    QuestMap enforce it?
    Has anyone had experience of it influencing matters unduly?

    Also, does Rittel's original formulation of IBIS contain this visual
    (Off to Google...)

    Cheers,
    Peter

    Peter Jones
    ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk

    Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/IHFolB/TM