Re: [unrev-II] Re: "self-healing" systems / cyc / personal ontologies / teaching

From: Eugene Eric Kim (eekim@eekim.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 15:26:59 PST

    On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Eric Armstrong wrote:

    > Basically, the answer to "how do we structure terabytes of information",
    >
    > is with cyc, topic maps, or RDF -- with meta-information that builds
    > a network of interrelationships, and applications which can deal with
    > that meta-information to:
    > a) Find the information you need
    > b) Map the new ontological framework into an ontology you are
    > familiar with (the essence of teaching)

    I don't dispute this. My question is, who does the structuring, and how?
    Is it realistic to try to have hundreds, even thousands of people
    constructing topic maps from the terabytes of digital information that
    currently exists? Keep in mind that the structuring has to happen as the
    information is created; otherwise, the information is always out-of-date.

    In order for the Semantic Web to scale, you need to make implicit
    structure explicit automatically. There are a number of ways to do it.
    The science fiction scenario has intelligent agents reading documents and
    spitting out RDF metadata or Topic Maps. On the opposite end of the
    spectrum, there are a number of more plausible scenarios. The example I
    throw out most often is e-mail. Quoting e-mail in responses produces
    implicit structure that could easily and automatically be made explicit
    with the right tools.

    -Eugene

    --
    +=== Eugene Eric Kim ===== eekim@eekim.com ===== http://www.eekim.com/ ===+
    |       "Writer's block is a fancy term made up by whiners so they        |

    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95 Refill any ink cartridge for less! Includes black and color ink. http://us.click.yahoo.com/bAmslD/MkNDAA/ySSFAA/IHFolB/TM ---------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Shortcut URL to this page: http://www.onelist.com/community/unrev-II