Re: Can IBIS be useful for individual/asynchronous collaboration? (was Re: [unrev-II] Visual stimuli & IBIS methodology)

From: Peter Jones (ppj@concept67.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 06:43:43 PST

    Hi Al,

    Based on my limited knowledge so far I agree with all of that (see Al
    Selvin's previous mail in this thread).
    But then I pick up on

    >I've started to think that an IBIS-like form is most useful when thought of
    >as a "meeting interface" -- something of especial use precisely when groups
    >of people are working through issues together. What Compendium tries to do
    >is to provide a set of tools and methods that allow this form to be
    >interwoven with other forms (D3E, MS-Office documents, etc.) when and as
    >appropriate -- preserving the both the raw data and the metadata both 'in'
    >and 'out' of those other forms.

    ...and that leads me to two fundamental questions.
    1) We are dealing mostly with HCI issues here, in that here human discourse
    is deliberately mediated through the system. So, it seems necessary to pose
    the question now (given all that has passed in the research of this area
    with IBIS and other tools) as to whether IBIS is really the present best GUI
    formalism for enabling this sort of interaction. Discuss. Some of what
    you've said earlier seems to me to point away from this.
    Personally, speaking as someone who has not actually used it but looking at
    the screenshots I find it back-to-front in the pattern of construction as
    well as the finished diagram. I have to think, reverse that thought,
    articulate it in the display, and reverse interpret to read it again later.
    Similarly, template first, fill it in later.
    2) Similarly, given what you say above, it seems that folks are happy
    working in a bunch of tools across which IBIS data has been chosen (out of
    circumstances? arbitrarily?) as the interchange format. Should the
    interchange format also be the interface that participants in discussion
    interact with, or is it better to have them work in formats that seem to
    more naturally map to their activities. Discuss.
    As a corollary, is the IBIS data interchange format the right glue
    independently of UI issues.
    Here, I think, a comparison between the properties of NODAL (and similar)
    and the IBIS interchange formats would be useful.
    If NODAL is the ultimate back-end then it seems like a good road for taking
    care of (2).

    In the case of (1), what makes me worry are statements to the effect that it
    takes 6 months to become a good QuestMap facilitator.
    All the problems with the UI that users couldn't cope with themselves have
    been loaded on to the facilitator. That makes me question the UI. Since
    there doesn't seem to be much difference between GUI implementations then
    I'm led to question the IBIS formalism, and especially its driving the
    visual representation.

    As I see it there are two types of meeting:
    1) asynchronous free-for-all. e.g. brainstorming.
    2) moderated or chaired discussion.

    For 3,000 plus years mankind has needed a moderator/chair/facilitator of
    some sort for meetings, and we may be about the change the world but let's
    just leave that in place for those that want it for the time being. But the
    properties of the role should be scrutinized.

    A preliminary analysis:
    In the meetings I've seen, much of the role of moderator/chair is one of
    ensuring folks adhere to certain protocols. These protocols largely involve
    acting upon the shared data. You submit requests to the chair to pose a
    question, proffer an amendment, proffer an addition. If you don't want the
    chair to have all the power then you might have a chair-mediated voting
    process with respect to changes/additions.

    Now, it strikes me that all of these aspects can be controlled with request,
    approval, and permissions mechanisms.
    So, imagine you could take the basic free-for-all, decide upon the protocol
    for the meeting type you want, and impose it upon that structure at the
    click of a button. Call me a raging optimist but I think this can be done.
    Should the chair have to control the construction of the representational
    elements for the discussion? No, I think not. The GUI should come as close
    to instant universal understanding of the representation as you can get.
    That way, apart from the permissions granting, all other actions can be
    delegated to the participants concerned.

    I'll see if I can put together a better presentation of my GUI ideas...

    Cheers,
    Peter

    P.S. Thanks for the expansion. :-)