[unrev-II] A Small Quiz with Big Ideas

From: Rod Welch (rowelch@attglobal.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 14:36:14 PST

    Jack,

    Thanks for pointing out the mistake in my letter earlier today. Feedback
    refines accuracy, as noted by Mary Keeler in remarks at SRI on 000518, citing
    Peirce's work on semiotics. On 011029 another letter discusses converting
    information into knowledge....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/61/01/10/2901.HTM#JH6O

    ...as you suggest in your letter today, and reflects SDS architecture explained
    in POIMS.....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#14GE

    I agree that solving the quagmire caused by IT entails investing time to
    understand the "story" of daily life as "history" under a theory of concurrent
    discovery. This enables continual learning by shortening the period for
    grasping lessons of history from 5 minutes ago, 5 days ago and 5 years ago that,
    when aligned, reveal clues about the future. see POIMS.....

    http://www.welchco.com/03/00050/01/09/01/02/00030.HTM#2300

    This form of story telling, called "intelligence" allows people to learn where
    the story is headed without having to passively stand by and wait for events to
    unfold. It turns out that, since communication is a predicate to action,
    connecting the dots from conversation, and other forms like correspondence,
    newscasts, papers, etc., into a comprehensible story provides a lot of useful
    intelligence that saves time and money.

    This latter has been the sticking point. People resist investing time to
    understand the story, because it seems faster and easier in the moment to rely
    on impressions from information, as noted in your letter on 010908. Overcoming
    that error through education and a culture of knowledge was the thrust of my
    earlier letter commending Henry for his hard work in this area.

    Rod

    ******************

    Jack Park wrote:

    > At 11:55 AM 11/13/2001 -0800, Rod wrote:
    > <snippage tres massive/>
    > >We will be stuck forever, until and
    > >unless we look deeper than the notion of information, and grasp the
    > >spectacle of
    > >knowledge.
    > >
    > >So, my recommendation to solve Eric's dilemma on 011003 asking for a
    > >better way
    > >of analyzing daily working information is to start anew with fundamentals of
    > >information from knowledge.
    >
    > Fundamentals of information from knowledge. Now, there's something you
    > don't see every day!
    > The line I have seen drawn was this graph that ranged (left to right) from
    > information to wisdom, with knowledge somewhere in between. But, we use
    > our knowledge to create more information (e.g. this post) which can remain
    > only information until interpreted by another knowledge-based system (e.g.
    > brain).
    >
    > Rod, your post (assuming you didn't mean "knowledge from information") is
    > strongly suggestive of getting back to *story telling*, or
    > narratology. Now, to tie that back to Henry, it would seem that he appears
    > to be going that direction already. Indeed, google-surf "story telling
    > learning" will get you 465 thousand hits, the first page of which look
    > quite appropriate to unrev-think.
    >
    > Jack
    > ps: consider moving this discussion over to ba-unrev-talk since the
    > unrev-II list will soon end.
    >
    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
    > [Choose from 1000s of job listings!]
    >
    > Choose from 1000s of job listings!