Re: [unrev-II] Rhetoric, authorship, and anonymity

From: Jack Park (jackpark@thinkalong.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 06:37:52 PST

    At 10:30 PM 11/14/2001 -0800, Nicholas wrote:
    > > Anonymity cuts both ways. It can be great for leveling the playing field.
    >But there's also literature to support the view that people rely heavily on
    >the source of a piece of information or viewpoint as an indicator of it's
    >validity.
    >
    >Intensely true. Supporting literature is unneeded. This is simply a fact.

    "Simply a fact." Wow. Very persuasive! Even makes sense ;o)

    > > Denied that indicator, they can feel that the system, full of anonymous
    >comments, is too sterile to be useful. Anonymity is a useful tool for
    >certain situations ... but I doubt it can be the norm for effective project
    >work.
    >
    >Which is why aliases are so beneficial to the Web. They permit
    >freedom of speech, while allowing an anonymous author to develop
    >validity through a series of writings. Clearly one cannot contribute
    >to core code anonymously. But for debugging, why not?

    *Alias* is just another way of remaining anonymous if you choose not to
    reveal your identity.

    Anybody recall the game Bill Joy played on the readers of Wired?
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html

    I won't spill the beans here, but go read it if you haven't already.

    Jack