RE: [unrev-II] Dervin and Sense-Making

From: Gil Regev (gil.regev@epfl.ch)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 00:19:51 PST

    > So I guess a moral of the tale might be:
    > Don't go loopy, unless it's one you can stop.
    > (Good advice for programmers at least.)

    > Cheers,
    > Peter

    Peter,

    This reminds me of Gerald Weinberg's "banana principle". The banana
    principle is so called because of a little boy who said: "Today we learned
    how to spell 'banana,' but we didn't learn when to stop." Generalizing this
    statement Weinberg concludes that, "Heuristic devices don't tell you when to
    stop." Which means that for instance "Mechanics alone cannot say which
    system will yield to mechanical analysis. Mathematics cannot tell us the
    range of successful application." So sense-making alone cannot tell you when
    to apply sense-making nor when to stop applying it.

    Geral M. Weinberg, An introduction to General Systems Thinking, Wiley 1975,
    p. 55

    Gil