Re: [unrev-II] Black Belt test -- Progress

From: Sheldon Brahms (nighthawk476@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 16:46:26 PST

    Hello Kibosh Folks,

    Just throwing my two cents in to this discussion, if for no other reason
    then to extend it beyond all rationality. I was struck by the
    interpretation of the original word "kibosh" as coming from the Gaelic "cie
    báis".

    And yes, Eric, you are quite right as to the spelling of many old Gaelic
    words as having little to do with their actual pronunciation. But when you
    extraplolate on their meanings, origins and extensions, some interesting
    tidbits emerge.

    For instance:

    To keep along the lines of your etymological thinking in the crusty old
    Irishman putting the "cie báis" on it, here is a bit of old Gaelic folklore
    to go with it.

    It seems that there is a little known, but very unpleasant and bloodthirsty
    character in ye olde Faerie mythologie of the Unseelie Court, the dark
    counterpart to the elegant faeries of the ruling Seelie Court.

    And curiously enough, this "chap' is know as the Redcap, largely getting the
    name from their blood stained caps.

    Here is an excerpt from a folklore encyclopedia regarding redcaps. Enjoy,
    but please get grossed out on someone else's rug!

    ---Sheldon

    Universal Inkjet Refill Kit $29.95
    Refill any ink cartridge for less!
    Includes black and color ink.