[unrev-II] Geocrawler Knowledge Archive...

From: Jon Winters (winters@obscurasite.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 14:38:12 PST

From: Jon Winters <winters@obscurasite.com>

Stumbled across this when joining a list this afternoon for an open source
software project that I'm involved in.

http://www.geocrawler.com/

<snip>
Imagine having 2,980,000 emails at your fingertips! Well now you do...

About Geocrawler.com
Geocrawler really started out to be something VERY different than it is
today.
It was meant to be a search engine that would tie ZIP codes to Domains,
thereby organizing the internet to any locality in the world.

But who needs another search engine? 8-)

So I retooled and refocused on archiving, organizing, and preserving the
millions of emails that are floating around in archives around the world.
If you are aware of additional archives that are worth preserving, please
let me know, and I will contact the list owner to see if they can be added
to this archive.

Geocrawler was a personal project that has grown to be a whole lot more.

Geocrawler currently has about 2,800,000 emails in its database, with
about 5000 added each day. The emails are added using custom-built java
spiders that can talk to NNTP, POP, and HTTP servers to rob them of their
treasures. 8-)

I hope you find these archives useful. I enjoyed putting them together and
I'm thrilled that I can "give something back" to the community by bringing
order to chaos and massive amount of hard disk to a hungry spider.

Tim Perdue
West Des Moines, IA
</snip>

Very interesting concept. Its one more reason to think before sending a
flame mail to a list. Remember.... Your flames may burn eternal in a
database and come back to burn you years from now.

--
Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/
OpenVerse  http://www.openverse.org/

Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm! You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends. <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/jobswarm1 ">Click Here</a>