Re: [unrev-II] Augment/NLS license for port to Squeak/Smalltalk?

From: Jon Bosak (bosak@boethius.eng.sun.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 22:19:09 PST

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@boethius.eng.sun.com>

[eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com:]

| Speaking of XML. At the end of 3rd session, Jon Bosak made the
| intriguing statement that his original goal for XML was for use in
| DKR-style projects, but that the original vision was reduced quite
| a bit in committee, which produced XML as we know it. (Jon: Please
| correct any inaccuracies.)

I'm afraid that I didn't express myself very clearly. The vision
for XML was not at all reduced in committee. If anything, we
ended up with too much functionality rather than too little.

It's important to distinguish between XML and the other members of
the XML family, in particular XLink/XPointer and XSL. The
critical functionalities for a DKR are the ones in XLink/XPointer,
but I think we're OK there.

I would recommend this tutorial for people interested in XML:

   http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/tut/1999/06/ucsc/index.html

Jon

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
Points, no hidden fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the
credit you deserve. Apply now. Get your NextCard Visa at